Like Tree158Likes

Covid-19: May 2020 - Global News

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Looking at the panel this might be interesting

The panel was very interesting. Much less relevant to Philippines, but a very insightful discussion about the future of travel generally. Thanks for sharing it.
    hullexile likes this.

I thought the speakers were good but I can't say I learned anything new and it was very generic and not tailored to the Philippines much. They are trying to be optimistic but it's clear that no one knows where this is going. If I summarized it, they basically said try to keep your head above water, work on your skills and keep your fingers crossed for better times.

The oft-lauded Swedish experiment continues....

Reuters: Sweden tops Europe COVID-19 deaths per capita over last seven days.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...Partner-Google

www.thejakartapost.com/amp/news/2020/05/20/coronavirus-behaving-differently-in-chinas-northeast-clusters-expert-says.html

Patients in the northeastern clusters were also carrying the virus for longer than earlier cases in Wuhan, and they were taking longer to recover, as defined by a negative nucleic acid test, he said.
    Patients in the northeast also rarely exhibited fever and tended to suffer damage to the lungs rather than across multiple organs, he said.

Costs of covid tests (in Australia) - Circa AUD$85-$100 (depends if you are looking at what the pathologists gets, versus the 'rack rate' of $100. Australia public health is a single-payer system (government picks it up if you are citizen/tax-payer), so consumers with government health care coverage get the tests for free. Non-citizens will have to pay privately.

Most non-hospital GP doctor's don't want to see potential covid patients - not enough PPE and cleaning and risk of cross-contamination for other 'normal' patients is too high.

1 million tests = $100m bill. 0.7% positive rate. There is some suggestions to scale back testing and only test if you are sick, or came into contact with somebody that was positive.
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/path...20-p54uva.html

Hong Kong isn't too bad, public hospital doctor is $180 and 'free' if the doctor thinks you are eligible.

The private costs can be HK$320-$1000 for doctor, then $500-$3000 for the private test.
    https://admedilink.hk/coronavirus-te...g-where-to-go/

AsianXpat0, civil_servant and BCD like this.

A secret medical facility set up to treat Chinese nationals inside a leisure resort was found. The resort is now sealed off.

Name:  Fontana-Closure-3_CNNPH.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  83.2 KB

(This is the same resort where they found 3000 illegal Chinese workers a while back and the owner fled to Hong Kong).

shri, Coolboy, AsianXpat0 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    A secret medical facility set up to treat Chinese nationals inside a leisure resort was found. The resort is now sealed off.

(This is the same resort where they found 3000 illegal Chinese workers a while back and the owner fled to Hong Kong).
    I saw this on the news. I would have thought that it takes the burden off the health system if some communities look after themselves. Didn't really see why all the fuss was made about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I saw this on the news. I would have thought that it takes the burden off the health system if some communities look after themselves. Didn't really see why all the fuss was made about it.
    Because if there are covid19 positive people in the community you want to know about it. You don't see a problem with not telling anyone you have covid19?
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Really? You think it's fine people just hide the fact they have the virus?
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast