Like Tree394Likes

National Security Law: Friday Edition...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The investors and stock brokers know better than the CCP it seems that there will be serious international repercussions on HK, enough to threaten the financial hub status of the city.
    Oh the CCP knows it alright. But they are willing to take a financial hit in order to protect and stronghold the communist party.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    Oh the CCP knows it alright. But they are willing to take a financial hit in order to protect and stronghold the communist party.
    I don't know if they realize though just how big a hit this would be for them. I suspect Beijing thinks there will only be a short-term plunge that will quickly recover and foreign investors and government will just forget it.

I highly doubt that. Given the worsening state of Sino-US relations, the Trump administration will certainly not turn a blind eye to this. And the Europeans too might be forced to take action, such a blatant move may be a step too far even for them to swallow.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

If anything CCP has hopefully waited a bit too long and, with the US heading back to a more normal brand of soap opera politics, Trump just might go big with an American response to distract from the body bags.

shri, Baklava, Tom007 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I don't know if they realize though just how big a hit this would be for them...
    I honestly don't think they care at this point. They would do anything to hold onto their communist party power even in the expense of the country.
    Gatts and Mrs. Jones like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Amen on that

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    I honestly don't think they care at this point. They would do anything to hold onto their communist party power even in the expense of the country.
    They might not care about the fate of HK, but they will care about the serious negative consequences this act will bring on them. It will impact their rule in HK. And what message does this send to the world? To Taiwan? That China cannot be trusted to abide by the treaties they signed. That China will destroy the prosperity of the city. That it is incapable of governing a city with a rule of law. That is hardly an appealing message.
    RMDNC, junichitsuyo and bak875 like this.

With freedoms and way of life about to be changed, who plans to leave within the next few years? HK is losing its appeal really fast IMO.

Taxmyass, Gatts and Greghouse like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Same thoughts here. Well all we can do is speculate, just hope this will come back and bite them in the ass

Original Post Deleted
    It will backfire on the CCP. Protesters are almost guaranteed to go back on the streets to protest this law. But now with national security law in place, these protesters, some of them at least, are almost certain to disappear, tortured or die "suspiciously". That in turn would trigger further rounds of global outrage which pile more pressure on Western governments to sanction HK officials. Its a downward spiral.

in the worst case scenario, there could even be something akin to a civil war in HK, as protesters see any peaceful chance for fighting for pro-democracy be snuffed out, they will legitimatize violence as the only recourse. Groups could arm themselves and assasinate and sabotage HK officials and facilities. I hope that does not happen of course, but with this law, that possibility cannot be ruled out I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    With freedoms and way of life about to be changed, who plans to leave within the next few years? HK is losing its appeal really fast IMO.
    I am thinking going back to the States, but HK is root for my family so its a really tough call as I want to be close to my family. Also, I am wishing to be able to witness the collapse of the CCP if only its not just a fairy tale...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast