Like Tree36Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had ever been seriously overcharged by taxis, I have lived in HK for 1.5 years but never experienced it until last night. After arrived in Hong Kong I got picked up from Asia expo by one of those larger red taxis with my destination being Tsuen Wan, so around 25km. The final bill was 680hkd!?! Regretfully I was too polite/ sleep deprived after a long haul flight + 8 hours witting for the covid results to argue at the time and handed over 500hkd (all i had in my wallet)...

About 10mins into the journey the taxi counter seemed to bleep almost constantly for around 10seconds and then my current fair of around 70hkd reset back down to the starting amount of 25hkd and stayed at this number for the remainder of the journey. I assumed at the time it had broken and the driver would just estimate the fair, but he showed me a receipt of 680hkd?! I had bags in the boot and we did stop at a ATM at the start for 5mins but surely it could never be that much Sadly I didn't get the reg or drivers name.

Nope. Once had an idiot who didn't know how to get to Taipo from Austin MTR, drove to a random street with similar name, even after showing him map he was clueless and I had to tell him how to get there.

When we arrived said I'm not paying for detour, paid what it should cost. That's my worst experience.

Tseun Wan is maybe $180? For $680 you could almost loop the whole SAR!

Once had a short fare where there was a meter issue and the driver undercharged, even though we were stuck in traffic due to an accident, I paid him the full amount as I know the route.

Andycg777 likes this.

Many taxi drivers are hurting badly because of the the Corona crisis and Uber. So that's how they try to make a few extra dollars. Although 680 for a trip from airport to Tsuen Wan seems extravagant.

Andycg777 and shri like this.

Ask to keep the receipt - it shows the taxi number and distance travelled. If something is wrong, then the taxi driver won't want to give it to you - although I agree - sometimes it is such a small amount so as not to be worthwhile making a fuss, and sometimes it happens when you're not able (jet lagged) or it's not convenient so you let it drop.

My recent experience of taxi drivers - they letting me off the cents when the fare is $40:80 or something I don't have the right change.

Elegiaque and Andycg777 like this.

Yes that would have been a v good idea! He obviously assumed it was my first time in Hong Kong and wanted to give it a shot, and it worked... >.<

Yeah probably part of it! My jet legged mind did initially think 'oh perhaps they're asking for more due to the risk of carrying potential Covid carriers from overseas'.. but almost quadrupling the cost is a bit much haha! But Drumbrakes right i should have kept the receipt!

Original Post Deleted
    Really? Should other businesses start adding fraudulent charges for their customer because of "those times" as well?
    rkenia852 and Skyhook like this.

ALL my bad HK taxi experiences have started at the airport (or equivalent for you in Asia Expo). From charging for luggage that is within allowable limit to bizarre routing etc. I just argue the toss and call the police on them. I can imagine you were just too tired, but yes, that's not acceptable behaviour. You may want to try reporting to the police anyway, because if he gets away with it once he may be a "regular" at that taxi queue.

Morrison, Andycg777 and Coolboy like this.

Nah I've been lucky here. No issues with taxi drivers so far.

I only take the taxi from TC to airport,

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast