Like Tree36Likes

Crooked Taxi Driver?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sai Wan pavilion in Sai Kung is a black spot. There's no phone signal so you can't call to order a taxi nor call the police when they want you to pay a jacked up set price. There is no public transportation and they are fully aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    That’s why when I’m in town we always use Gogovan.

You always know in advance what the fee is, I usually tip them $20 on top.

From the Airport to Cheung Sha Wan costs me $140 for 3 people including luggage.
    Of course, legally gogovan (and similar) is not a passenger service...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Of course, legally gogovan (and similar) is not a passenger service...
    Yup but since we have ‘ luggage ‘ that’s classed as carrying goods.

I fight the taxi trade by only taking ubers.

I am a hong kong native and i know how those taxi drivers work. That driver have defined you as a traveller something, so he put a huge price to get benefit. 250 hkd is already pretty enough for that transportation. Next time, i advise you to use uber / put the “from and to” on uber to see the reference of price for a trip

Andycg777 likes this.

Also I've had cases where the taxi driver gave me a receipt but the ink is so feint that it's illegible. They have every trick not in the book...

I've had cases where I was disputing the fare, they asked me to wait for a minute, they went to the boot, I honestly thought they might get a weapon out but they just lifted the boot, we agreed the drop the price (but still more than usual fare), he drove off, with the boot up so I couldn't take down his licence plate. Also his ID wasn't displayed on the dashboard

That's why I never use taxis anymore

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    I fight the taxi trade by only taking ubers.
    I fight the uber trade by only taking taxis.

Honestly in nearly a decade here I've not had a single bad taxi experience (other than motion sickness), but speaking Cantonese has really helped out I think.

Uber on the other hand, I think I've had maybe 3 good experiences out of 20, then I gave up.
    mucaari and SirNotAppearing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycg777:
    Yes that would have been a v good idea! He obviously assumed it was my first time in Hong Kong and wanted to give it a shot, and it worked... >.<
    The driver probably checked your geoexpat join date and took a punt on you

The fare seems overly extravagant... even at the worst of times.

Holy shit you got MUGGED pretty bad, its a pity you dont have the receipt or remember the license plate number. I would highly request you go on the quest to get that piece of shit taxi driver arrested. if its was a simple rounding up or heck took the long way to rip you off a bit more then I wouldnt bother but to charge you HK$680 for a journey that would cost less than 200 is damm right outrageous.

File a police report, ask AWE if they have cctv of you being picked up by a taxi etc. go get that son of a bitch .

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Speaking of which, what is the most expensive possible point-to-point trip in HK?

Wong Shek to Airport? Big Wave Bay to one of the Shenzhen crossongs?

The isolated little villages/areas such as one sees when hiking, such as Sham Tseng inTuen Mun, the Peak would also be expensive I should imagine. Not everything in HK. presents as easily accessible.