15 7.28%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

103 50.00%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.71%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

68 33.01%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sexual-couples
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Really? I don't think so. Any Tom Dick and Harry can visit as long as the patient agrees and they're over 12.

Drat, quote fail

What I’ve never understood is why marriage is so important. It’s not really that successful in the hetero world. Given that marriage was supposed to be a religious thing and there isn’t much recognition of homosexuality in most of them surely the nirvana is fully equal rights under a civil partnership?

GentleGeorge and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    What I’ve never understood is why marriage is so important. It’s not really that successful in the hetero world. Given that marriage was supposed to be a religious thing and there isn’t much recognition of homosexuality in most of them surely the nirvana is fully equal rights under a civil partnership?
    Isn't that just splitting hairs? What does it matter what you call it? Marriage is just a legal concept, so why not give the same legal benefits to everyone who wants them? You can be married and not be a "family" or be one without being married. Extending the same legal benefits to everyone equally is surely better than creating a lot of alternative ways those rights can be established to cover people who might not want them, like cohabitation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    For various official purposes marriage is often different than partnership. Think pensions, insurance, inheritance, vsiting rights, etc etc. It varies by country, but gay couples often bump into barriers that straight married couples don't. I can understand, even if I'm happily divorced myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Isn't that just splitting hairs? What does it matter what you call it? Marriage is just a legal concept, so why not give the same legal benefits to everyone who wants them? You can be married and not be a "family" or be one without being married. Extending the same legal benefits to everyone equally is surely better than creating a lot of alternative ways those rights can be established to cover people who might not want them, like cohabitation etc.
    Hasn't the 'Church' only been formally involved in marriage since 1753.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Hasn't the 'Church' only been formally involved in marriage since 1753.
    Google tells me it became a sacrament in the 13th Century.

Yawn. Yes obviously. For as long as we insist on organising ourselves, inheritance rules and tax benefits under the institution of marriage it obviously needs to apply and be available to all sorts of couples. Astounded anyone would still think otherwise frankly.

Sincerely hope this won't even be a question anywhere in the civilised world within 10 years.

BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Google tells me it became a sacrament in the 13th Century.
    only if you wanted it to be. It could be a purely civil arrangement up until 1753