Like Tree103Likes

US + World: Hong Kong is not Autonomous

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The HK currency's linked exchange with the US dollar is not going to be affected would it? My hunch is that the US would not take steps to end the dollar peg...for now, as the resulting currency volatility would surely adversely impact HK people as a whole.

Have I missed it, but despite looking for it I cannot find any statement from the SARG about the decertification?

Original Post Deleted
    Funny how legal experts disagree with you. Directly introducing legislation by China is only allowed for areas that are not within Hong Kong's autonomy, like foreign relations or defense. Article 23 specifically calls for HK to enact the law on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Have I missed it, but despite looking for it I cannot find any statement from the SARG about the decertification?
    You're right .. it has not shown up on the public press release site. And no reporters are talking about it ...

Give it time...

Original Post Deleted
    Profound ..

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The HK currency's linked exchange with the US dollar is not going to be affected would it? My hunch is that the US would not take steps to end the dollar peg...for now, as the resulting currency volatility would surely adversely impact HK people as a whole.
    Unlikely to be affected. US alone cannot end the dollar peg with HKD.
    If the reporting of Hong Kong Monetary Authority is authentic about how much USD they have in foreign currency reserve, there is no need to worry. Only risk I am seeing rn is if an abundance of foreign corporations withdraw its investment in HK then it might opens up opportunity for hedge fund to break HKD.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    The usual writers of SARG press releases are all too busy attending the Two Sessions. A statement will be issued once they return to their offices in Sai Wan.
    henkka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The anti-China stance is beyond just Trump now, there is a bipartisan consenus on this in Washington.
    Surely this is just a reaction to the changes in China. 8 years ago they were not locking millions away sinking ships, saying a war would be good etc. China has changed and the world is reacting.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Funny how legal experts disagree with you. Directly introducing legislation by China is only allowed for areas that are not within Hong Kong's autonomy, like foreign relations or defense. Article 23 specifically calls for HK to enact the law on its own.
    LegCo was nobbled last year. The members representing the majority have no tools in their toolbox to stop bad laws.

The Pan Dems did propose changes to the 2003 attempt but these were ignored.

We no longer have a separation of powers in HK.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast