Like Tree4Likes

Moving out of Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving out of Hong Kong

I am trying to go back to Hong Kong and pack my things and leave as soon as I can within the coming month. Since I know roughly that I will not be coming back to Hong Kong anytime soon or ever ( studying in a foreign institution ), I want to know as a normal graduate who used to work in Hong Kong, is it possible to withdraw my pension funds from Sun Life?

The amount I accumulated in the account does seem small enough for me to leave it idle given that I do not know when I will go back to HK once I move out. The sum is roughly around 40,000 HKD which is the result of accumulation of a certain portion of my salary when i was working in HK.

If i wish to permanently move out of Hong Kong is it possible to withdraw this amount. If so what kind of documentation do I need to do this? I would appreciate the feedback for anyone who has had a similar experience or know about this matter.

Thanks in advance !!

Just sorting mine now. You need to get a form MPF(S)-W(SD2) Statutory declaration form which you state you are leaving Hong Kong and never returning to work again. You take this to a local home affairs office and take an oath in front of officials and they then sign and stamp your form.

Form here http://www.mpfa.org.hk/eng/informati..._to_IV_4_e.pdf

After that you fill the form from your MPF provider to reclaim the MPF.

The idea is that if you are likely to return here to work in the future you should leave it here. Some people have apparently withdrawn it and then returned and re enrolled. I guess they wouldn’t stop you. No one really knows what the future holds.

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 26-05-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for the replies.

How long does it take for you to sign this and take out the sum? Also say you want to leave HK now and take this out but later like 10 years or even 5 years from now you wish to return, then what happens? Are there any consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyResort:
    Thanks for the replies.

How long does it take for you to sign this and take out the sum? Also say you want to leave HK now and take this out but later like 10 years or even 5 years from now you wish to return, then what happens? Are there any consequences?
    If I'm not mistaken and have read somewhere here, you will no longer be able to do another early withdrawal and will need to wait until the age of 65 to get you money
    bak875 likes this.

Do not close ur HK bank account.

My mpf was deposited into my account after I left. There also may be a refund from inland revenue that u may be entitled to + utility deposit refunds.

shri likes this.

So basically i can only withdraw early once?

Original Post Deleted
    So essentially you are saying that I can early withdraw once, and even if I return to HK it would not matter so long as I start another mpf contribution plan?

What happens if you choose to withdraw early but not leave HK just curious what will happen to these cases.

Original Post Deleted
    I almost feel like people can misuse this system such as just withdrawing the MPF early and choosing not to get employed in HK but still staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Just sorting mine now. You need to get a form MPF(S)-W(SD2) Statutory declaration form which you state you are leaving Hong Kong and never returning to work again. You take this to a local home affairs office and take an oath in front of officials and they then sign and stamp your form.

Form here http://www.mpfa.org.hk/eng/informati..._to_IV_4_e.pdf

After that you fill the form from your MPF provider to reclaim the MPF.

The idea is that if you are likely to return here to work in the future you should leave it here. Some people have apparently withdrawn it and then returned and re enrolled. I guess they wouldn’t stop you. No one really knows what the future holds.
    I am not trying to do this for good, can you briefly explain the procedures? Do i just print this form myself and fill it out and take it to local authorities first? What is the local authorities here we are talking about?

The form is available online (my employer gave me a copy) But yes you can just print it.
    http://www.mpfa.org.hk/eng/informati..._to_IV_4_e.pdf

Fill your details in. You state on the form when you intend leaving Hong Kong.

Go to your local Home affairs dept office. Times and details below. Hand the form in. They will tell you to wait. Then they ask you to come in. You read the oath out in their presence and then they will ‘chop’ the form and sign it. You then submit that form with your form requesting the withdrawal of you MPF from whoever you have it with.

Home affairs offices and details of when and how you do it here. It’s quite easy and quick.

https://www.had.gov.hk/en/public_ser...provided.htm#3

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 17-06-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    itsdawn likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast