Like Tree22Likes

ROI from MPF

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    Im trying to figure out what would be the best way to make the most money. But I cant make up my mind about which way to go lol. If overthinking was a super power then I woulda been so badass

How much money do you need to make in order to benefit from the TVC?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    If you are *not* interested in having some Hong Kong exposure, this could be sensible.

If you *do* want HK exposure, I think it makes more sense to get the HSI tracker in your MPF and get your US/global exposure through ETFs like VOO and QQQ with a broker like IB.

MPF is terribly expensive for everything, but pricing seems to be least terrible for HSI - or at least that was the case with HSBC when I last checked.
    FWIW, they have a SP500 fund now in the same price bracket. Value Choice US Equity (or something like that).
    GentleGeorge, shri and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    FWIW, they have a SP500 fund now in the same price bracket. Value Choice US Equity (or something like that).
    Awesome intel, thanks - will have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    It depends. It's best to use the IRD's tax calculators to figure out if at least some if not more than 60,000HKD of your HK taxable income is hit with the 17% standard tax rate.

Check out the IRD calculators at https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxe...omputation.htm

The calculator can't make the best TVC decision for you but it can do the math required based on your inputs. As for future actual returns with specific funds, you'll just have to use your preferred crystal ball for that.
    periphery831 likes this.

You pay 17% tax on taxable income over $200,000 (taxable income is income less deductions such as married person allowance, children allowance, etc). So if your taxable income over $200k, then the TVC benefits you. This is quite a low threshold, benefitting the masses.

If you are planing to live in HK your whole life, then there might be a bit of hesitation whether to do or not, since the money will be locked up until retirement. But if you are an expat planning to leave HK at some point in the not too distant future, you can redraw it when you leave HK to start your next adventure, thus making it a completely no brainer decision for most expats.

There is a clear loophole here for expats to save on tax. Any expat not taking out TVC should be ashamed of themselves for not saving tax and punishing the government for creating stupid systems with stupid loopholes.
    periphery831 and GentleGeorge like this.

The $60k TVC which I took out with AIA on 4th December last year and saved me $10k in taxes, is today worth $59,940.83. Given all the shit of the last 6 months, I cannot complain about this. I wish all my other investments were worth what they were last December too .

Name:  TVC June 2020.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  82.1 KB

periphery831 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The $60k TVC which I took out with AIA on 4th December last year and saved me $10k in taxes, is today worth $59,940.83. Given all the shit of the last 6 months, I cannot complain about this. I wish all my other investments were worth what they were last December too .

Name:  TVC June 2020.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  82.1 KB
    Thanks, everyone.

What MPF fund did you put it in?

The DIS fund seems decent with the lowest mgt fee of 0.75%. Since 2018, I've had a return of 8%.

Either that of go with healthcare and tech based North American funds despite the higher mgt fees.

I looked for the lowest expense ratio one that tracked the HSI. Thus, I choose BEA's 0.72% FER BEA Hong Kong Tracker Fund in their BEA (MPF) Value Scheme. I would have picked HSBC (even though their HSI tracker has an FER of 0.79%) because I already have all my MPF money with them, a credit card with them, and a joint account, but alas they don't allow U.S. citizens to open up a TVC account with them. So I found BEA. However, others might suit your needs/wants better.

I assume you've already played around with MPFA's comparison tool at https://mfp.mpfa.org.hk/eng/mpp_list.jsp

As for which provider will currently offer the best TVC sign-up bonus, you'll have to shop around as I only recall the deals that applied in the 2019/2020 tax year.
    periphery831 and GentleGeorge like this.

Thanks, everyone.

The DIS fund seems decent with the lowest mgt fee of 0.75%. Since 2018, I've had a return of 8%.

Either that of go with healthcare and tech based North American funds despite the higher mgt fees.
    Yes I put my TVC into the AIA DIS fund. Lowest fees. Since I have left HK now, I can redraw it along with my regular MPF. Just haven't been arsed to do it yet.
    periphery831 likes this.