Like Tree304Likes

Covid-19: HK News - June 2020

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

[QUOTE=HK_Katherine;3732120]I believe in rational actions, not those driven by societal pressure. [QUOTE]

And that is exactly what selfishness is. More concerned about you and your belief than about courtesy and belief of others... You have demonstrated on repeated occasions that your EQ is very low so not a surprise.

How many times do expats here complain about people not holding doors or elevators because that's common courtesy where they come from? Well I imagine that's exactly how expats not wearing masks are viewed by locals hence the reason why many don't like it because it reflects badly on others.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I have no problem with his rational. It's very similar my own. I believe in rational actions, not those driven by societal pressure. Societies are not always right and making my own assessment means I have the information necessary to protect myself. Were I to magically fly to Florida or Texas next week, I would be much more assiduously wearing my mask and washing my hands. And I think those yanks refusing to do so I places with such high levels of transmission are idiots. But HK is not one of those places. If things change, behaviour should change. It makes all us think about real risks not perceived risks.
    Spot on, my sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    And were I doctor in surgery, of course I'd be wearing a mask for every patient, but as you've guessed, I'm not, I operate (pun intended) in wholly different environments.
    Glad you're not in my association.
    Coolboy likes this.

[QUOTE=Aramis;3732132][QUOTE=HK_Katherine;3732120]I believe in rational actions, not those driven by societal pressure.

And that is exactly what selfishness is. More concerned about you and your belief than about courtesy and belief of others... You have demonstrated on repeated occasions that your EQ is very low so not a surprise.

How many times do expats here complain about people not holding doors or elevators because that's common courtesy where they come from? Well I imagine that's exactly how expats not wearing masks are viewed by locals.

You chose to focus on the least significant part of that comment. If I had written it, I would have included the line "I have the information necessary to protect myself......and others"

It's obvious, unless you are choosing to look the wrong way, that in order to infect others, one first has to become infected oneself (or at least carry sufficient infection upon ones person), - the only action one can take, is to prevent oneself from catching and transmitting, without the first the 2nd is just another of those ghosts you said people shouldn't fear.

[QUOTE=Sage;3732135][QUOTE=Aramis;3732132]

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I believe in rational actions, not those driven by societal pressure.

You chose to focus on the least significant part of that comment. If I had written it, I would have included the line "I have the information necessary to protect myself......and others"

It's obvious, unless you are choosing to look the wrong way, that in order to infect others, one first has to become infected oneself (or at least carry sufficient infection upon ones person), - the only action one can take, is to prevent oneself from catching and transmitting, without the first the 2nd is just another of those ghosts you said people shouldn't fear.
    Wearing masks is rational (shown to have some effect in cutting down transmission) and in accordance to social norms.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 29-06-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Aramis and MatthieuTofu like this.

I wear a mask like I wear underunder, things gotta be covered

Last edited by Trance Omega; 29-06-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Going off topic
    Elegiaque and chuckster007 like this.

The recent Sha Tin Lek Yuen cluster would have spread much further had everyone not been wearing masks.

Gatts, Cornmeal and BCD like this.

It’s fundamentally possible to both i) cross the street with the traffic light showing red with negligible risk with 0 traffic around, and ii) not come on a forum and say that this is the correct practice (or imply that people are ignorant and irrational not to be crossing while the light is red because it’s arguably more effective [including for vehicles where the crossing light has to be manually activated and then delay vehicles when you could have crossed when they were not around]).

Too much emphasis on resisting the social pressures aspect. Based on the risk/benefit, my own personal opinion is that that there should be a presumption towards wearing a mask. This is slightly strengthened by social expectation, but not the material point as a rational individual would indeed be justified in acting differently if the risk/benefit was demonstrably negative.

Living in the woods alone, of course one might not have to care about the thoughts or feeling of others, but that is not generally the case here.

On delayed social distancing in Singapore and dorms, this point is completely conceded, but HK does have similar flammable material with cage homes etc., the difference being (arguably, and hypothetically) masks acted like moisture on the hay, so that any stray sparks landing didn’t catch fire and rage out of control...

Aramis and Sage like this.

It is really that simple, I wear a mask on buses or inside buildings where everyone is wearing one. To me it is courtesy and being polite. No one knows where you have been so it makes them feel more comfortable. It is caring a little about people around you and not be self centered only on your own needs.

I play sports with groups of people and I go to the gym and virtually no one wears a mask so I don't... No handshakes high 5s or physical contact, follow the norm. If I go to a mosque, I will take off my shoes, cover my bits and respect the custom of the place. I'm not going to pretend I know better and try to educate others on what I believe is right even if it inconveniences me a little.

Sage likes this.

There seems to be a lot of people struggling with the concept of masks and how to respond when circumstances change, so lets change the focus of the debate.

What circumstances will have to occur for you to no longer wear masks in ALL public situations and lets specifically address that to situations where you might first stop wearing a mask.

Let's start with an easy one - Hiking with your partner on Tai Mo Shan - You currently wear a mask for that, yes or no? If yes, what will have to change before you'd stop that?

How about walking down the street in Sai Kung at sunrise? What about Causeway Bay or Central?

Over to you, you opinionated souls....