Like Tree11Likes

50+ Chinese Apps Banned in India

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

China pissing off both Australia and India in recent weeks, time for a new Aus/India alliance. Unfortunately here in Aus we don't have any music video apps to give, but we have plent of iron ore, aluminum, gold, natural gas and other shit we can dig out of the ground for you. Also we can teach you how to swim (some Aussie Olympians just opened up a swimming academy in Mumbai). Just send your international students to our universities, and then we can both give the middle finger to the Chinese.

The quadrilateral security dialogue of Aus/Japan/India/US (from memory setup in 2007, but the abandoned by Rudd when he got elected) is probably going to be reactivated, would be my guess.

How many of you have Chinese apps installed?

With India banning 51 Chinese apps and more security concerns over spyware (tiktok), I am wondering how many of you guys actually use apps that are China based?

Personally I use WeChat and AlipayHK which are probably the two most invasive apps.

Thinking of uninstalling but I currently use them for more credit card rewards.

Put them on a separate phone if you need them and you can. Then make sure it's not able to communicate with your other phone and that you don't have it around when you don't want to be recorded.

I have WeChat on a separate phone because I need it for work.

Didi scares me given it openly records audio and video so I keep that one off my main phone, but do we really think WeChat might have spyware built in an no-one has noticed and exposed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Didi scares me given it openly records audio and video so I keep that one off my main phone, but do we really think WeChat might have spyware built in an no-one has noticed and exposed it?
    You don't need to be a spyware when it is just sending everything you say and where you are at all times to the government. It would only need to be collecting the bluetooth hwids of nearby devices, or the wifi MACs, to get a rather solid list of who you are with at any given point in time...I wouldn't be surprised it does.

Quote Originally Posted by prospectiveHKer:
    Put them on a separate phone if you need them and you can. Then make sure it's not able to communicate with your other phone and that you don't have it around when you don't want to be recorded.
    what do you guys have on your phone that undermines the national security? you are not a hollywood spy and you dont need a burner phone.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    what do you guys have on your phone that undermines the national security? you are not a hollywood spy and you dont need a burner phone.
    No one knows what the definition of "undermines national security" is under the new law.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I don't think any major cut backs will happen without some very significant pain in India. Chinese investors are deeply entrenched in the Indian manufacturing / media and technology sectors.
    Surely the pain will be greater in China?