Like Tree18Likes

do i still need a mobile phone number?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    Obviously, you want an answer " you don't really need a mobile phone number". Vote to your confidence.
    I want to see if anyone can think of anything I haven’t thought of. This is like getting rid of my land line 20 years ago.

A lot of companies identify you via your phone number in HK?

drumbrake likes this.

Skype numbers can not receive SMS messages - though it does have a service that allows you to send SMS messages. I don't think it is a technical problem that can't be solved - it is deliberate.

So yes, you still need a mobile phone number - if you need sms authentication.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    A lot of companies identify you via your phone number in HK?
    I do most of my banking online, but occasionally my RM will phone me for something - and it needs to be done over my registered number. Most of our conversations is done by text on Whatsapp, but anything involving moving money (the RM gets me a better rate than doing it online) needs to be recorded and done using my mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    I can get sms from my data SIM card.
    That means your data SIM card has a phone number. It's just a standard mobile SIM. "Data SIM" is just marketing.

You are going need one for potential emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    That means your data SIM card has a phone number. It's just a standard mobile SIM. "Data SIM" is just marketing.
    they can make your 'minutes of phone call' to zero, then its just a data sim...
    TaD_LaLa and shri like this.

Is there such as thing as a data only sim card in Hong Kong, and is it any cheaper or better than a normal sim with voice/data? I know in Japan this is possible and there are benefits to a data only sim with no number, but I did not think such a thing existed in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    do i still need a mobile phone number?
    i almost make all my calls on whatsapp, wechat, or facetime. i have skype like web based number. does anyone see any problem with replacing my voice/data sim card with a data only sim card?
    When you get a new phone or for some reason reinstall software, you'll need the SMS code to put your whatsapp on it again.