Like Tree28Likes

Investing in HK utility stocks? Anyone

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

With the rise of renewables and technological changes, at least some utilities are facing disruptions to their traditional market dominance.
    Going back to HK utilities.... What disruptions? The stagnant nature of HK is an advantage to them.

Is the Monthly Investment Plan for Funds using Hang Seng Bank a good way to invest or should I be looking at doing it using a broker website like Interactivebrokers.com?

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Is the Monthly Investment Plan for Funds using Hang Seng Bank a good way to invest or should I be looking at doing it using a broker website like Interactivebrokers.com?
    Do they charge you a dividend handling fee? If you are buying in small lots the minimum handling fee might eat up a few dividends...

But other than that the monthly investment plan is the way to go for fixed dollar cost averaging on a low cost..
    periphery831 and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    They provide regular income in most normal situations... Don't expect any innovation or growth from a company that supplies you gas, water and electricity.
    If you are looking for a regular income with low capital growth, I would argue that bonds better fit your investment objective and also offer lower risk to your capital.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    If you are looking for a regular income with low capital growth, I would argue that bonds better fit your investment objective and also offer lower risk to your capital.
    It is a balance, right? HK Electric /CLP level risk&return vs say EM?

By the way, it is worth looking at David Webb's Total Return tool to see some historical comparison (and yes... usual disclaimers).

For shits and giggles here are some random stock codes from memory. Tencent chosen just to make a point..

https://webb-site.com/dbpub/ctr.asp

Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 8.49.41 AM.png
Views: 777
Size:  271.1 KB

periphery831 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    HK Electric biased the graph ... (I think).

Feel free to make your own salad ..

Original Post Deleted
    Think you've added a bit of relish there to hammer home, but take your point broadly beyond that. I stated that no dividend would recover what PA has lost in value over the past five years. Is that an incorrect assertion? The same applies for Lenovo I think (a tech stock), although I haven't checked the numbers. Certainly applies to many of the major banks, too.

I was being sincere when I said I'd like to see the investment case for holding a particular utilities stock over a particular tech stock. Diversified portfolio? Fair enough. I'm mainly a passive index investor fwiw.

I don't really see a purpose on investing beyond ROI, if one index/fund/company isn't providing that return, and doesn't provide that return over X amount of years, then how is it controversial to suggest it wasn't worth holding it? There's nothing "noble" about holding Power Assets over Apple the past 1/3/5/10 years.

By the way, it is worth looking at David Webb's Total Return tool to see some historical comparison (and yes... usual disclaimers).

For shits and giggles here are some random stock codes from memory. Tencent chosen just to make a point..

Wow. That tool is brilliant. I use this for US stocks and had been looking for a HK one, I actually think you've shared it before and I forgot about it.

https://www.theonlineinvestor.com/cagr-calculator/

Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 8.49.41 AM.png
Views: 777
Size:  271.1 KB
    The takeaway being screw utilities, go hard on tech giants? You only live once?
    MandM! likes this.