Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By freeier
  • 1 Post By bdw

Demand for Rates - Warning - Not proof of address

Closed Thread

Demand for Rates - Warning - Not proof of address

A demand for rates has been received with a warning on the envelope.

Person who intends to use the Demand for Rates and/or Government Rent as documentary proof of payer's identity or address should assess the potential risks and liabilities involved.
    This must refer to applications for a BN (O) passport, for which proof of home address is required.

What are the risks and liabilities?

(I'm sorry if this has been asked before.)

This must refer to applications for a BN (O) passport, for which proof of home address is required.
    To be fair - any sort of ID theft?

I've only seen charges of impersonating a police / govt official in random case readings.

This is what it looks like. Weird thing is that govt correspondence is usually accepted as proof of address.

Name:  IMG_20200708_162308.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  573.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    This is what it looks like. Weird thing is that govt correspondence is usually accepted as proof of address.

Rates demands for residential properties are addressed to the owner – who may or may not not be the occupier of the property. It's not a HK Govt thing - it's an AML issue.

Utility bills are typically addressed to the person who requested the relevant service which makes them a better (not perfect) way to verify residence for AML purposes.

Rates demands for residential properties are addressed to the owner – who may or may not not be the occupier of the property. It's not a HK Govt thing - it's an AML issue.
    Not even sure if this is done for AML. I suspect it is done to prevent people from opening accounts / registering for various services using their landlord's identity. Been the case for decades... not sure if the current handout / online account opening issues have prompted this new warning.

i think the warning is meant to be given to the one taking this document as the proof of identity, and not on the user..

if i send a letter to someone, i also don't want to be sued by a debt collector that tells me later that he used that letter as a proof of address but the person actually did not live in that building blar blar blar...

shri likes this.

Sounds right to me. I have property in Hong Kong and get demand for rates, doesnt mean I live there.

Same in Australia, I bought a property in a good school area years ago, been getting the rates for years. But the property was rented out. When finally applying for my kids to go to the school last year, they don't accept the rates as proof of living in the area. They needed electricity and other bills. In the end I still had to buy another small apartment in the same areas to satisfy all the requirements.

Original Post Deleted
    Hey, after refinancing my HK property last year I had a bit left over so why not? Easier to buy a property to get an electricity bill in my name rather than trying to convince some stubborn school admissions officer to let me in because I am planning to move from HK to Australia in a few months time
    drumbrake likes this.