Like Tree49Likes

Permanent Residence Application

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thanks for your reply Trebor, I've already done the 1+3+3 year visa and this Oct shall be the 7th year. So i would need to reapply for another DV to cover the gap and apply for PR in March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Toanly:
    Thanks for your reply Trebor, I've already done the 1+3+3 year visa and this Oct shall be the 7th year. So i would need to reapply for another DV to cover the gap and apply for PR in March 2021
    Yes. It will be the 7th Anniversary of the date you activated the Visa and not the date the Visa was approved that is taken into consideration for the 7 years continuous stay requirement. You can only apply in March 2021 and will need to renew your DV.

Quote Originally Posted by Toanly:
    Yes you need an extension. I arrived in Jan 2012 and did the 1+2+2+2 route i Still needed to renew my GEV on January 2019 while i applied for the PR visa as the application can take 4-6 weeks, so if you dont have an extension then you are overstaying while the application process is going on. Therefore that's why i said it's irrelevant which date you use because you will need an extension anyway.
    chuckster007 likes this.

By the way I actually think you can apply from the PR from October this year but that's really a question for immigration.

Leaving Hong Kong after applying for PR

Hello everyone. I am eligible to apply for HK PR next year End of August. It will be 7 years since I landed to Hong Kong by that time. My current visa is valid until mid of July 2021, so actually I will need to extend my visa again (so unlucky, just 1 month...). Anyway, I am currently employed in Hong Kong and my company can extend my visa again next year. However, what I am also planning is to apply for Masters Degree overseas, starting from Sep 2021. So my plan is to apply for PR in the end of August 2021, leave for my Masters studies a few days afterwards. However, I am not sure whether is that okay to do so? I have been trying to search the relevant information in immigration website, but could not find anything relevant, whether I am allowed to leave HK after applying for PR and coming back again in September/October to pick up my PR.

OR

Since my company will also extend the visa for 2 years, so it will be valid until July 2023. What I could do is to apply for PR not in Aug 2021, but once I finish my masters in summer 2022.

Any suggestions/advice/further clarifications? Would be much help.

I would apply as soon as possible. Earliest You can apply is one month before the anniversary so apply for PR, it doesn't matter you leave HK for masters later. As long as you are physically in Hong Kong on the day you apply, it's OK. As you said you can come back later to join the final interview and finish the process.

But of course you have to renew your work visa in July.

Quote Originally Posted by ierand:
    Hello everyone. I am eligible to apply for HK PR next year End of August. It will be 7 years since I landed to Hong Kong by that time. My current visa is valid until mid of July 2021, so actually I will need to extend my visa again (so unlucky, just 1 month...). Anyway, I am currently employed in Hong Kong and my company can extend my visa again next year. However, what I am also planning is to apply for Masters Degree overseas, starting from Sep 2021. So my plan is to apply for PR in the end of August 2021, leave for my Masters studies a few days afterwards. However, I am not sure whether is that okay to do so? I have been trying to search the relevant information in immigration website, but could not find anything relevant, whether I am allowed to leave HK after applying for PR and coming back again in September/October to pick up my PR.

OR

Since my company will also extend the visa for 2 years, so it will be valid until July 2023. What I could do is to apply for PR not in Aug 2021, but once I finish my masters in summer 2022.

Any suggestions/advice/further clarifications? Would be much help.

but how long will they keep the application open if I apply for PR and then leave HK? any idea?

If I apply 1 month before the 7 years completion, from what I read above, they will only proceed after 7 years completed? or within that 1 month immigration department will process it and once 7 years happen, they will notify me to pick up the new card?

feels like quite many arrangements but also do not want to loose the chance for PR by leaving for Masters

but how long will they keep the application open if I apply for PR and then leave HK? any idea?

If I apply 1 month before the 7 years completion, from what I read above, they will only proceed after 7 years completed? or within that 1 month immigration department will process it and once 7 years happen, they will notify me to pick up the new card?

feels like quite many arrangements but also do not want to loose the chance for PR by leaving for Masters
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread...ml#post3724361

the paper ID card they issue has about a month's validity as I remember. There will be a date on that document, which is about 1-2 weeks later , when you can go and pick up your actual PR ID card.

They wont begin to process it until the 7 years is up.

Thanks for the sharing, very informative.

Seems quite tight if I need to wait for another 1-2 weeks after 7 years to get my PR

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast