Like Tree32Likes

Why is physiotherapy so crazy expensive in hk?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The really good physios spend 40 mins one on one with me but my GP spends 10 mins with me. That’s why they are more expensive than some Drs and they still have to pay the crazy Central rents.
    Trust me, I’ve seen a LOT of physios in this town and you get what you pay for. I want someone to diagnose my problem properly and fix me, not hook we up on machines & hot packs and hardly touch me. From experience it’s the hands on manual therapy that works for me.
    Highly recommend PhysioMotion - they’re definitely not cheap but the best in my humble opinion. My insurance covers most of it, but even if it didn’t I’d pay out of pocket to get quality care.

rathunt likes this.

Last time I visited my physio she told me that she's not a massage service. Lol.

Well, in my experience physios do release muscles but most of their expertise lies in mobilizing the joints. The massage they do is painful but you feel better after! If you want a feel good massage go to Four Seasons spa, not physios!

shri likes this.

Try less evidence-based traditional Chinese chiropractic treatment. If you insist on physiotherapy, go to one that will teach you to self-treat given professional advice. Your Yoga instructor is another source.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy James:
    Well, in my experience physios do release muscles but most of their expertise lies in mobilizing the joints. The massage they do is painful but you feel better after! If you want a feel good massage go to Four Seasons spa, not physios!
    I like the painful kind of massage.

Physio does a good job though of finding the tendon or muscle that needs to be massaged. Once they do that I'm able to massage it myself. For example, I had chest pain related to a stiff tendon in my neck, but there was no pain in the neck until she started squeezing it. Now I squeeze it myself to release the tightness in my chest.

Anybody tried Physio in Wanchai? Some MTB riding issue from month ago seems to stay with me. Alternately anything closer to Saikung (incl. TKO, Hanghau etc) would be nice. Affordable is certainly a plus.

https://www.physio.com.hk

Get into the Government system. Much cheaper, and good quality. You need a referral obviously and possibly a wait (although I didnt wait long).

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    Anybody tried Physio in Wanchai? Some MTB riding issue from month ago seems to stay with me. Alternately anything closer to Saikung (incl. TKO, Hanghau etc) would be nice. Affordable is certainly a plus.

https://www.physio.com.hk
    Yes I've been. Decent value, I think at the time it was roughly ~350, and seen straight away.

It is of course very 'local style'. Ie. In and out and the out you on a machine with assistant. However, the physio I found pretty good and knowledgeable so worth a consultation.

The alternative is waiting a year or two to get into the "public system", and strapped to a few machines. Or else pay $1,200+ to see a physio at one of the 'expat' clinics on hk island (not saying that's bad tho, the good thing is you get to spend 40-60 mins of 1-to-1 attention, as opposed to the usual in and out quick treatment.
    chuckster007 and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKthe:
    Yes I've been. Decent value, I think at the time it was roughly ~350, and seen straight away.

It is of course very 'local style'. Ie. In and out and the out you on a machine with assistant. However, the physio I found pretty good and knowledgeable so worth a consultation.

The alternative is waiting a year or two to get into the "public system", and strapped to a few machines. Or else pay $1,200+ to see a physio at one of the 'expat' clinics on hk island (not saying that's bad tho, the good thing is you get to spend 40-60 mins of 1-to-1 attention, as opposed to the usual in and out quick treatment.
    I waited perhaps 3 weeks to get into the public system. The message I got when I registered was that it might be as much as 3 months. NOT 1-2 years. It cost (then) 60 a go, 1.5 hour group sessions where you get a total of perhaps 10 mins each of "face time" and the rest rotating around machines. I also got massage and accupunture in some sessions.

Good for you but if I have something bothering me I'd rather be seen instantly and have 1 to 1 care. Always worked out better for me