Like Tree18Likes

New Google Phones - Pixel 5, 4A 5G & 4A

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Google Phones - Pixel 5, 4A 5G & 4A

Been a while since I have been interested in a phone release... Looking at replacing my aging A1 and another A2..

Looks like the 4G - 4A might be the sweet spot device.

Not checked hk availability, but the son assures me that the UK versions should be fully compatible.

The Verge: Google announces Pixel 5, Pixel 4A 5G, and Pixel 4A all at once.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/3/21...ase-date-specs

irisboards likes this.

I've been waiting on the Pixel 4A for months! We're not guaranteed to get the OnePlus Nord in the U.S. I've been eager to upgrade from my Moto G5 Plus for the past year.

Pixel won't launch in HK probably. UK versions should work in HK.

Not sure about 5G bands in HK but something to be aware of going forward.

@pin - Seems like the US version is compatible with HK - supports HK bands. Will research. UK version does not release till mid/late Sept?

Not too bothered with 5G, as we're on a 4G plan till late next year.

pin likes this.

OK cool. Usual caveats re warranties etc, but am sure you are aware of that already.

At the moment sticking to Samsung mainly due to smart Octupus.

Is the Smart Octopus thingy different from NFC functionality? I guess with NFC you can use the phone as an Octopus device?

Am seriously clueless about this - not that I think I'd want to use the phone as a Octopus.

And ... free shipping to HK on Amazon. Was not expecting that.

Link has an affiliate code in it .. might as well make a couple of $s.
    https://amzn.to/2EI1ltf

Name:  Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 9.24.29 AM.png
Views: 1250
Size:  50.7 KB

pin, mrgoodkat, huja and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Is the Smart Octopus thingy different from NFC functionality? I guess with NFC you can use the phone as an Octopus device?

Am seriously clueless about this - not that I think I'd want to use the phone as a Octopus.
    There are three different ways to turn a phone into an Octopus: Octopus SIM, Samsung smart Octopus, and whatever Apple (Pay?) does.

Octopus SIM is only available from CSL, and only works on a fairly limited range of phones - mostly Samsung, with a few LG and Sony models, and it will actively refuse to run on an unsupported device. I've used it in the past when I had a supported device and it actually works pretty well - to the extent that a year later, I still occasionally pull out my phone at a terminal rather than my wallet...

Samsung smart Octopus should work on pretty much any Samsung phone with pretty much any carrier, AFAIK, since it's using Samsung's payment platform. No idea how well it works, or not.

Apple, ditto.
    pin, shri and irisboards like this.

@shri - seems quite a few items have free shipping from amazon now (back to spending over USD49). Which is REALLY annoying as I just ordered some stuff last week.
    @vmlinuz - thanks for the summary, pretty much sums it up. I use Smart Octopus and it works great.

forum administrator delete

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast