• HK is my Home, will stay forever

27 12.50%
Like Tree539Likes

[Poll] Stay or Leave Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mayechka:
    singapore's regime now is worsen than hk, (better than china),
    a newspaper like apple daily would never establish in SG...
    people has no right to demostrate...
    so if anyone SG is freer than hk, that's a joke.
    but you do get free elections, which may or may not influence governance and responsiveness...

Some element of a mandate there, which helps quell tempers as well, at least in an Asian context.

Plus, what direction is HK moving in if you look at all the newsrooms?

Having said that, there are certainly arguments for more freedom of expression being desirable in Singapore too.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mayechka:
    singapore's regime now is worsen than hk, (better than china),
    a newspaper like apple daily would never establish in SG...
    people has no right to demostrate...
    so if anyone SG is freer than hk, that's a joke.
    Not really, in Singapore the government while not remotely democratic still works generally in the interest of its population and acts on its own. In Hong Kong all governance decisions are taken thousands of miles northwards.

I voted in this 2 years ago and chose 3-5 years.

Second redundancy in just under 4 years for my husband, hundreds been let go from his company due to stellar financial mismanagement yet again, and that's it. I can't see HK coming out of the downward spiral it has been forced into. Having a holiday, then back to pack and do loose ends. Horrible time to be trying to move globally, awkward for the teen after so long off school and at the start of her final two years. Refreshing to think of a new future out of HK though.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:

Second redundancy in just under 4 years for my husband, hundreds been let go from his company due to stellar financial mismanagement yet again, and that's it. I can't see HK coming out of the downward spiral it has been forced into. Having a holiday, then back to pack and do loose ends. Horrible time to be trying to move globally, awkward for the teen after so long off school and at the start of her final two years. Refreshing to think of a new future out of HK though.
    Sorry to hear of your potentially stressful situation. Good luck and hope you have a better experience outside Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Not really, in Singapore the government while not remotely democratic still works generally in the interest of its population and acts on its own. In Hong Kong all governance decisions are taken thousands of miles northwards.
    Completely agree.

But the world isn't just Singapore. Plenty of expats are enjoying Shanghai or Bangkok or Taipei, as there are many, many factors that go into choosing a place to live and work in. Hong Kong will always have its own advantages - a very low tax rate, relative safety, vast network of restaurants and bars, hikes, proximity to SE Asia.

Some, or many, will prefer Singapore. But the supply of expats from all over the world will mean plenty of settlers in both places.

Also, human nature always looks for something new. Live a few years in Singapore if you must, to help remind you of what you love about HK!
    traineeinvestor and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:

Sorry to hear this. From many of your posts, I think you should be well prepared to handle the turmoil, that this move in the current situation will bring upon you.

Like I've been telling a lot of people these days - Do hope we can catch up somewhere, some day when the world is a bit calmer.
    kimwy66, Mrs. Jones and tinlissie like this.

missing options like 1) already left 2) left but want to come back

eightfivetwo, bak875 and SZ1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Completely agree.

But the world isn't just Singapore. Plenty of expats are enjoying Shanghai or Bangkok or Taipei, as there are many, many factors that go into choosing a place to live and work in. Hong Kong will always have its own advantages - a very low tax rate, relative safety, vast network of restaurants and bars, hikes, proximity to SE Asia.

Some, or many, will prefer Singapore. But the supply of expats from all over the world will mean plenty of settlers in both places.

Also, human nature always looks for something new. Live a few years in Singapore if you must, to help remind you of what you love about HK!
    Singapore is nice...for a while. But it gets rather boring after a while. It lacks the edge of HK in some ways.
    alexdown and eightfivetwo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Singapore is nice...for a while. But it gets rather boring after a while. It lacks the edge of HK in some ways.
    Hong Kong is battled tested... it has its ups and downs, and has managed crisis after crisis. Singapore really is a recent "newcomer" onto the global stage (in my humble opinion) and has yet to go through the fire and have its mettle tested. It will be interesting to see how they navigate the times ahead.
    Coolboy likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    61% voted for it.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.