What are you cooking tonight?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqMiqJerTw
    Coolboy likes this.

I'm always down for Beijing Kao Ya.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Me, day 12 of quarantine...

@MABinPengChau . . . released into the wild yet?

That's a terrible enchilada recipe.... or at the very least, terrible for Hong Kong.

I made some from scratch the other day with a green sauce and they turned out amazing... happy to share my HK work arounds. What I discovered recently is that several places around the Central market stalls have jalapenos.

I should make it again sometime soon so I don't forget...

Actually, I'm going to write it out for my own reference...
    Boil chicken with diced onion, add bay leaf and some dried chilis. Set aside once cooked and keep broth.
    For the sauce, I had 3 jalapenos, 1 green bell pepper, and 1 onion and ~1 head of garlic -- roasted in the oven. Scrapped off skin, blended. Made a roux, and I added some garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Then added broth and roasted mixture.

Filled each tortilla with shredded chicken, cheese, and sauce. Since I had sweet potato leaves and other greens, I sauteed them and mixed them in, too. Topped off with cheese and more sauce. Because I used the broth, I was able to make a lot of sauce and didn't run short.

I think the key is roasting whatever peppers and onion you can get.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 20-08-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    tf19 and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    That's a terrible enchilada recipe.... or at the very least, terrible for Hong Kong.

I made some from scratch the other day with a green sauce and they turned out amazing... happy to share my HK work arounds. What I discovered recently is that several places around the Central market stalls have jalapenos.

Boil chicken with diced onion, add bay leaf and some dried chilis. Set aside once cooked and keep broth.
    For the sauce, I had 3 jalapenos, 1 green bell pepper, and 1 onion and ~1 head of garlic -- roasted in the oven. Scrapped off skin, blended. Made a roux, and I added some garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Then added broth and roasted mixture.

Filled each tortilla with shredded chicken, cheese, and sauce. Since I had sweet potato leaves and other greens, I sauteed them and mixed them in, too. Topped off with cheese and more sauce. Because I used the broth, I was able to make a lot of sauce and didn't run short.

agree. Layering flavors and aromatics is definitely key to getting good results, especially for Mexican food which is incredibly complex. I was lucky enough to be friend and friend with a commis at Cosme (Enrique Olvera's joint in NYC) who had an allegedly 100+ ingredient mole.

I did inquire on the recipe and while I don't think the recipe was actually 100 ingredients, layering different aromatics, herbs, and charred peppers made it a very time consuming and tasty sauce.

Serious Eats has a recent primer on the topic that I found relevant: https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/08/...re-flavor.html
    Elegiaque likes this.

Tonight, leftover lunch from work yesterday. Every day the chefs are required to make us staff lunch. I'm a strict vegetarian, which makes every one I work with baulk in horror. Luckily, I work in a restaurant that sources all of their ingredients locally and within the gardens themselves. I cannot eat cream or drink a lot of milk. I can eat some cheese and a little yogurt. So, tonight after cycling 10 kms back home in the drizzle rain, I finished off some watermelon and feta salad plus tomato and cucumber salad and made my own puffy herbed tortilla bread " pizza" in the oven. In winter I am a soup person. When I first arrived in HKG Oct 2010, the first thing I made, apart from a veggie stir fry was pumpkin and sweet potato soup. Summer, I like to prepare and eat a lot of mediterranean, such as tabouli, fattoush, manakesh, babaganoush, hummus and the rest and make my own. Other than that, I sorely miss heading down the road to my local hawker centre in Singapore to buy a spicy hot veggie curry, or to little India for some naan and veggie dishes. smaller hole in the wall eateries for some really good, home cooked vegetarian Singapore food. I miss Lebanese food in Oz, sauerkraut , gruenkohl and the array of mustards I can find in Germany...In Sweden, winter is the longest season and the range of produce available is so small compared to what I have been spoilt for choice with in other countries. I am just so over boiled potatoes....

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Thanks for sharing am going to give this a try soon.

I finished watching my first Korean Drama "Crash Landing on You" and am craving Korean Fried Chicken. Am going to find an Air Fryer recipe and make it this weekend.

We recently got an InstaPot and have made this a couple times. It's super yum.

https://fitmencook.com/chipotle-chicken-tortilla-soup/

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    @MABinPengChau . . . released into the wild yet?
    I've been sprung!! Got a haircut, maybe the worst one of my life...and a NEW emotional support hamster for the Taipei office...AND went to the American Institute (fake embassy), crazy, crazy week but Taiwan is just fantastic, people are so nice so easy to get around...
    huja and blandy62 like this.

Fini's pizza night

tf19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Now this is good Peking duck, Northern Beijing style with a bit of Southern Cantonese style:

RMDNC likes this.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast