Like Tree14Likes

Re-negotiate lease post 12-month break clause

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re-negotiate lease post 12-month break clause

Hi,

Has anyone had experience of re-negotiating their lease post the 12-month mark? I have a two year lease which has a 12-month break clause. Just arriving at the 12-month mark and am looking to re-negotiate at current market levels which it looks like is much less than what it was when I signed a two year lease.

Would appreciate any advice on dos and donts.

Thanks

Check what is currently on the market and what you can rent for? Ask different agents to provide you with current listings.

Re-negotiate with the LL at similar levels or tell them you wish to vacate...

To give you some facts before commencing your negotiations, according to one index, property prices are 3.57% lower than this time last year. Also, didn't you get a good deal in August last year anyway due to all the protests and the negative sentiment that had already set in at that time? Anyway, good luck!

Name:  CCL 20200803.jpg
Views: 2680
Size:  267.7 KB

the property index you see published are fake. They are trying really hard to keep the prices up. I can see many expats leaving HK and flats being vacant. Just be cheeky, never be the first to give a number as this will be the anchor for the negotiation.

Just ask what they think is a fair number considering the market. I would think 10-20% would be a fair game.

shri, tf19, LukeUk and 1 others like this.

the residential rental index is a separate index and it should be around 10% lower than what the top was a while back.. centraline index has the fault of not being able to adjust to developers giving discount post sales... and the discounts are getting really high these days, supposedly 7% 10% type of cash rebate are given back to buyer via the agent

You can definitely get at least 10% off. We got that in two steps, about 5% each time, with threat of moving out - though LL didn't want to extend lease so slightly risky I suppose as we only have a month or so notice if they think they can do better.

I would just keep it friendly and lower expectations. As in I would casually ask, and then if the landlord doesn't offer, be prepared to just leave without making it a confrontation.

They are under no requirements to give a discount, but you are also under no requirements to stay after 12 months. If the prices have gone down, then there will be similar flats nearby that are lower in rent anyway. If the landlord doesn't want the hassle of finding a new tenant, they will probably offer a discount. If you don't want the hassle of moving to a new place, you will probably just keep paying the current rent.

traineeinvestor likes this.

I am in the same exact situation.

I just very respectfully asked: yo my lease is coming up, I love staying here blah blah but given the market (citing comparable flat prices around) would like a reduction in line with that. Totally understand if you can't + no hard feelings whatsoever, and happy to help find a new tenant when I move out.

It helps if you really intend to move though. I actually wanna go somewhere larger (given WFH) so intend to do so unless I can get a reasonable discount (weighing the moving hassle).

Best of luck.

AmyMi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    To give you some facts before commencing your negotiations, according to one index, property prices are 3.57% lower than this time last year. Also, didn't you get a good deal in August last year anyway due to all the protests and the negative sentiment that had already set in at that time? Anyway, good luck!

You are totally off, why are you quoting sales prices when we are talking rent negotiations?

Even the HK gov provides data on rental prices, up until June and now with the last wave of covid, it probably dropped even a bit lower in July. You can find the data here: https://www.rvd.gov.hk/en/property_m...ics/index.html

It shows clearly rents are down quite a bit, of course with a bit of variation on areas, sizes etc. The data is also a bit scetchy because its based on few transactions, so best is to just calculate an average over all the data.

So suggest you check the listing rental price of similar unit before talking to your landlord. You can find the information from agents' website.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast