Like Tree147Likes

Watching my HK colleagues become expats in Taiwan

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Locals are too slow, don't get the job done the way HK people do..
    Well, sooner or later, they will realized that the world don't revolve around them and when in Rome, do what the Romans do. And to be fair, this complaining is not unique to HKers, but most expats of any nationality. Just look at all the complaining about HK on this forum (which I admit I have done on quite a number of occasions). So we are all guilty of that to some extent.
    gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Best complaint yet was that a local restaurant was not that clean when some of the places that I have eaten at in HK with said coworker were on the appalling side of the cleanliness spectrum...
    They complain about absolutely everything. If complaining was an Olympic sport then Hong Kong would win the gold medal.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi the shrimp:
    They complain about absolutely everything. If complaining was an Olympic sport then Hong Kong would win the gold medal.
    But Hong Kong is the best at everything. Best milk tea, best food, cleanest place in the world -- which we can now see from the low virus numbers. It's also the fastest place in the world. Uh huh. Face-paced city.

Anyway, I would be having a good laugh at them MABinTaipei. There is no condensed-milk milk tea because it sucks!

I was wondering if they're complaining about the locals because they're too friendly...?

(Sorry, sorry, just snickering... we often joke that we're in the crappiest place in Asia for food.)

Ask them if they know where the airport is.

Coolboy, Sage and jdf21st like this.

Another great complaint- Taipei is hot AND more humid than HK...

Well, I lived next to the sea on Peng Chau, really doubt ANYWHERE on planet earth except maybe the Amazon rainforest is more humid, feels OK to me...

huja likes this.

They are not worse than any other expat at complaining, only that I find it funny because now the shoe is on the other foot (I was careful not to complain about HK- only stuff everyone complains about, Carrie Lam, thug police, high rent...).

Ugh, condensed milk milk tea...shudders.

Did not like it in HK, don't miss it here...happy to drink bubble tea or whatever else...local coffee places can get coffee for about 16-20 HKD, Louisa coffee, other local chains and independent shops...

Mostly they like the food, just some comforts of home are missing. One colleague's wife and 4 year old are still back in HK so obviously that's an issue...there are always tradeoffs.

Sage and Elegiaque like this.

it's all part of the culture shock 'j curve' right? things are great=>things are awful=>things arent that bad=>normalises over time (or they quit part way).

dont think it's related to nationality.

just like when one first arrives in hk and is flabbergasted by the cost of non-chinese imported fruit (or fruit at city super) and then eventually it all seems normal and when you go to the US and find whole foods to be very reasonable and your friends there think you're crazy! :-)

or you leave HK and return to the UK and try to call a plumber to fix your boiler and instead of same-day service you're told it'll be 2 weeks before someone can see you...(ie a kind of reverse culture shock).

all good - just being aware of it will help most people push past it. being able to talk about it and share experiences help...just have to be careful not go down the rabbit's hole of negativity and let it spiral, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Complaining is part of the expat experience for many. For others it's just how they communicate. They don't even realize it.
    ya. else why did we even have this website and how it made shri into millionaire.. and how even guys that left this miserable place cant resist coming back to post like the second coming of god..

On the front page the title is cut off, I thought “Watching my HK colleagues become” would complete into “Watching my HK colleagues become Pro-Beijing”.

Coolboy likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast