Like Tree50Likes

Landlady breaking the lease

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Think carefully about what you want to do.

Don't sign a new lease on another property, until you have received formal notice to vacate. That is, if you agree to vacate early and the LL has given you 1 month's notice to vacate...and you've agreed the terms of the early termination of the lease....

From, the LL's point of view, everything is subject to the proposed buyer, who may or may not buy, or any future prospective buyers.

Be wary of what the LL actually wants, because if they don't actually give you a formal ONE months Notice to Vacate, your tenancy would still continue to run until February.

The best thing is to actually agree a termination date, with compensation to you.

Make sure anything you agree is written and signed by both parties.

Last edited by ArrynField; 07-09-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Sage likes this.

In a similar situation. Landlord claims they are looking to leave HK for good and sell the property. Moving would be a pain, but I'm also not too attached to this property as it's got a number of problems. We almost looked to move out when we re-signed back in April but couldn't find the right one. They've offered to pay any agent fee for a new place plus *some* help with moving expenses, though that's all still a bit vague. I'm curious if OP or anyone else here has concrete numbers they've managed to get out of their LL.

Quote Originally Posted by NateM:
    In a similar situation. Landlord claims they are looking to leave HK for good and sell the property. Moving would be a pain, but I'm also not too attached to this property as it's got a number of problems. We almost looked to move out when we re-signed back in April but couldn't find the right one. They've offered to pay any agent fee for a new place plus *some* help with moving expenses, though that's all still a bit vague. I'm curious if OP or anyone else here has concrete numbers they've managed to get out of their LL.
    Well, if this helps put anything in context for everyone; a close friend of mine had the building they lived in compulsory purchased by the urban renewal authority within the last year.

It was an old walkup building (which is what they target), she lived in a very nice (by rental standards -but mostly it was her good furnishing taste that made it) flat on the top floor in SYP. Families living in their apartments in the building were offered $24,000 /sqft to sell ( I estimated that to be around 50% above market value for a high floor walk-up last year).

My friend was renting and her contract had expired, she'd been there over 3 years and the contract was just rolling over month to month, so in purchasing the URA could have given her 1 months notice...

Instead, they paid her compensation to move out.

35 months rent

Yup, Thirty five months rent compensation move out of a flat where her contract had expired.

The point of this story is to illustrate that there are plenty of precedents in HK of people being paid vast sums because they are 'forced' to leave their home and that when selling properties the sums involved are very large - Rent in comparison is very small beer.

In my friends case, naturally the URA are developing the building (and a couple of others next door) they'll be knocking them down and building something much taller and thus creating far more flats for the same footprint, which involves vast sums of new money for those plots.

But the moral still stands, no need to sell your home too cheaply when others will be making much more money on it's sale.
    HK_Katherine and NateM like this.

Anyone know if there is a standard form in HK for mutual agreed early termination of a lease with provisions for the compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by NateM:
    Anyone know if there is a standard form in HK for mutual agreed early termination of a lease with provisions for the compensation?
    I doubt there's anything standard, I'd guess you best bet would be finding someone who's done it and beg for their agreement to customise.

https://www.hkclic.org/en/topics/lan...oreExpiration/
    NateM likes this.

I ended up agreeing on 2.5 month's rent with my landlord. Paid our moving costs and let us get some new furniture, and we're liking our new digs, so I guess not all bad.

vmlinuz likes this.

Christmas came early this year..

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4