Like Tree82Likes

USDHKD peg under pressure

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

So where are George (and Kyle) wrong then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjiIIht0bw

$433 Billion USD in Federal Reserve, does that sound like running low?

traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFan:
    $433 Billion USD in Federal Reserve, does that sound like running low?
    And even if that should be insufficient, there's the question of whether Beijing would allow the HKD peg to be broken by an American speculator or whether the PBOC would step in to defend it.
    shri and hongkong7 like this.

HKMA intervenes to stop the HKD breaking out of it's band ... to the upside. Kyle Bass is looking more than a little foolish right now.

HKD Re-hits Strong-side Convertibility Undertaking; HKMA Pours $1.55B into Banking SystemAASTOCKS Financial News - Top News

didn't you notice he has been going on CNBC with all kind of his theory.. attacking China/HK left, right and center.. really sounds like a desperate struggle now. His bet is costly as he is borrowing HKD to short against USD assets.. USD yielding 0 now and HKD cost of borrowing like 2~3% for him... means every year he leave the bet on his cost is 2% of his notional. Assuming he has 400m USD in his hedge fund and he levered it up 20times, i.e. 8b USD bet, his cost per annum is 160m USD. That's why he is concern and worried i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    didn't you notice he has been going on CNBC with all kind of his theory.. attacking China/HK left, right and center.. really sounds like a desperate struggle now. His bet is costly as he is borrowing HKD to short against USD assets.. USD yielding 0 now and HKD cost of borrowing like 2~3% for him... means every year he leave the bet on his cost is 2% of his notional. Assuming he has 400m USD in his hedge fund and he levered it up 20times, i.e. 8b USD bet, his cost per annum is 160m USD. That's why he is concern and worried i guess.
    He still gets coverage despite being obviously wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    He still gets coverage despite being obviously wrong.
    This is the truly newsworthy part to me in all this. How can a fund manager who consistently underperforms any benchmark be given such a broad platform and audience to spout off worthless opinions and still be considered an expert?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwendal:
    This is the truly newsworthy part to me in all this. How can a fund manager who consistently underperforms any benchmark be given such a broad platform and audience to spout off worthless opinions and still be considered an expert?
    Well, this is the country that put Trump in the White House ....

Nevermind his market view, but I almost have to tip my hat to him for pulling off the gag.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast