Like Tree12Likes

UK Property Investment - Manchester Hype

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    Yields are decent in Manchester, however capital gains won't be that great.
    This. A lot of people got sucked into the student property investment boom around big university towns. Were promised guaranteed yields, good interest only mortgages etc.

Problem was no decent capital gains and also no market to sell the properties at a profit.
    ArrynField likes this.

I have properties in Manchester - definitely good yield. The rental market is strong, with BBC being there, and surprising amount of Finance professionals. I used a local firm - better than the high pressure HK ones

As with any property buyers need to be aware of the current cladding scandals, which have hit areas with high rise buildings, in the U.K. in particular London and Manchester

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news...grenfell-66619

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/12/2000-...onth-12843420/

If you’ve bought a property in the U.K., you might want to check with your management company to see if the building has any cladding and if it passes the new regulations. You will probably need to get an EWS1 Certificate before you can sell.

If you’ve already bought in Manchester, have a look at this:-

https://manchestercladiators.home.blog/

Sage likes this.

And where do you think all those students are going to be coming from to fill up the rows of new buildings going up?

I once met this real estate broker, and his suggestion was to buy property that can be rented out via AirBnB for the big football matches.. beats me if that works...

Interesting - I bought next to Old Trafford. Just rented it out - well we have to wait out Covid anyway

I would believe the hype if I could see evidence that makes Manchester special (and the BBC being there isn't enough!).

It is doing OK and is predicted to do OK but there are faster growing cities in the UK (using pre-covid data).

It has a lot of students (I was one) but has had a lot for many years. The growth in student numbers would be important.

I don't see where any above average returns are coming from but happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: The BBC employs 3000 in Manchester with another 3700 indirectly linked to them being in Manchester.

Last edited by hullexile; 23-09-2020 at 02:50 PM.

It’s all relative. Outside of London, where would you suggest is attractive?

If one wants to invest in U.K., and don’t want to do London, then Manc is the obvious choice

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpigkenny:
    It’s all relative. Outside of London, where would you suggest is attractive?

If one wants to invest in U.K., and don’t want to do London, then Manc is the obvious choice
    Well here is a list of the 10 fastest predicted growth rates for UK cities 2016-26.

Name:  Screenshot_20200922-114549.png
Views: 239
Size:  65.1 KB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast