Like Tree10Likes

Investment advice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Investment advice

Have had terrible luck with some stocks I got during what I thought would be 10 year lows that got even lower...

I have around HKD$300k laying around collecting dust in a time deposit that’ll end tomorrow - any ideas on how to reinvest? Should I finally take the plunge and get some HSBC stock?

Are you 100% convinced that purchasing HSBC will be result in the best outcome for your $300K in say 3-5 years time?

Alzthehero and mrgoodkat like this.

Def not certain. I could just get some when it’s on rise and hope that they’ll pay dividends (unlikely anytime soon). But not confident with that whole approach - which brings me here - should I just play it safe and leave it in ZA bank with 1% interest? I don’t plan on touching the money for at least 6 months

PetravanderVegt likes this.

Not touching for 6 months is not an investment. 6 months is savings and 1% is about the best you’re going to get right now.

muzzdang likes this.

Depends on what you want to do with the money?

If you're an expat on a 2-year contract in a high tax bracket, then put it in a voluntary MPF and buy the conservative fund.

If you're saving for something that you want to buy in the near term, house, car, etc, then hunt for a good deal on a timed deposit.

If you're looking for something to invest for the long term, then perhaps get some index funds.

Other than that it's always good to invest in your education, as it has some of the highest returns.

pin likes this.

What would you suggest if I wanted to see some decent returns in 1-2 years? I guess I’m pretty risk averse and am worried I might need to be in a more liquid position if a financial crisis happens (if it isn’t happening to some extent already)

If you think the markets are going to crash, but put options. I'm kidding since you are risk averse. Just stick it in those high interest rate time deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzthehero:
    What would you suggest if I wanted to see some decent returns in 1-2 years? I guess I’m pretty risk averse and am worried I might need to be in a more liquid position if a financial crisis happens (if it isn’t happening to some extent already)
    "Decent return" and "1-2 years". This is pretty much impossible unless you take MASSIVE risks. Also what do you define as "decent returns"?

If it's parking money for 1-2 years just stick with a time deposit or 1% savings account as others have suggested.
    Alzthehero likes this.

Why are people talking about MPF and TVC if the timeframe is just 1/2 or even 10years ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Why are people talking about MPF and TVC if the timeframe is just 1/2 or even 10years ?
    Because money saved is money earned!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast