Like Tree59Likes

Where to find 'Crispy Aromatic Duck' in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I'm not sure about the British version, but "crispy aromatic duck" should be a translation of 香酥鴨, which is a Sichuanese style where the duck is steamed, air dried, then deep fried. It is very different from Peking duck.

Something like this (I am not necessarily recommending this particular restaurant, which I have never been to, but it might be worth a try): https://www.openrice.com/zh/hongkong...¨“-p9383646

Quote Originally Posted by Hjk10001:
    I seriously think there is an untapped demand for this in HK, and sure to be popular with those who haven't tried it before. A potential business opportunity?! ......even in these stressed times....

I've never heard about this Anglo Chinese crispy aromatic duck, but if it is similar to confit de canard, then I can see the appeal. Not sure if there is a business case in Hong Kong for it, because I don't think many of you on this expat forum crave duck confit, which is sort of the same thing, maybe minus the, Chinese 5 spice, Chinese cooking wine, ginger and Maltose syrup, soy sauce and garlic seasoning. Depends what you like I suppose, especially as duck isn't particularly cheap usually in the HKG.

Also, while we were on the subject of Hong Kong Peking Duck, and I have eaten it all over the city and in the New Territories including Spring Deer and Spring Moon on a few occasions, it wasn't until I tried it at the Da Daong restaurant in Beijing for some authentic, wood fired oven roasted crispy skin but succulent Peking Duck, I am sorry to say, but nobody in HK holds a candle to the PEK original up north. I was ignorantly amazed as to just how much more enjoyable this dish can actually be, than the rather standardised, 2 dimensional HK version is, even at OTT expensively hyped up places like Spring Moon at the Pen, which is all a bit dull compared to the experience I had at the Da Dong restaurant for a 1/4 of the price feeding a party of 4 of us! To be honest, once I'd tried the real thing about 5 or 6 years ago, I sort of lost interest in the Hong Kong version after that.

When you get the chance to travel across the border again, give the wood fire oven roasted version in PEK a go, you will be amazed .
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Alternatively, you could try making it yourself: https://blog.themalamarket.com/sichu...xiang-su-yazi/

will we be breaking the law tomorrow if we continue to call this dish peking duck?

HK_Katherine likes this.

From memory it is a lot less fatty and dryer. It may well be , as someone earlier said, deep fried for final cooking/reheating. It also have more of a 'flavour' presumably why it is called aromatic. I assume it's to do with the way its prepared, what ever it is marinaded in.

I just find the Peking variety bland in comparison and cheaper preparations can be very fatty/sloppy.

Hjk10001 likes this.

Also, crispy aromatic would be 'torn' rather than nicely sliced. Texture wise I'd compare to 'Pulled Pork'.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    will we be breaking the law tomorrow if we continue to call this dish peking duck?
    I think you will break the law tomorrow what ever you think/say/do. Be afraid

There is a duck and waffle in IFC if you want a UK variant. The duck is more like you get in cripsy aromatic duck but you dont get a huge amount.

mrgoodkat likes this.

they actually have crispy duck in hing kong now opened by a few British born Chinese called whatdaduck.
    You can check out their IG or FB page and are located in central.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    There is a duck and waffle in IFC if you want a UK variant. The duck is more like you get in cripsy aromatic duck but you dont get a huge amount.
    It's very good, I love the mix of sweet waffle and salty duck which was surprising for me.

Tried the duck at Hutong not long ago which was also very good and reasonably priced. Great atmosphere and view, never been disappointed there.
    shri likes this.