Like Tree160Likes

Travelling to the UK during this pandemic.

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You do talk rubbish. My bringing you back to the reality of 42000 deaths rather than the 239 you focused on is trying to get you to consider the big picture (as it is called in business, cut out the patronising please). If you focus entirely on "today" you will get a warped view.

If you left it at statistics you might be OK but you go from there to subjective conclusions based on your need to defend earlier positions.

P.S. twice you said the population of the UK is 5 million?
    Your big picture its in the past, my big picture is in the present. My whole argument in this thread is a comparison between April and the present, your counter argument has been "but you're not considering the past!" eh? That makes no sense at all, it's like you're simply not looking at the data or something?

So I suggest you look at the graphs and react to those, things have changed since April.

If you think I might have written that the population of the UK is 5 million, you're simply spending too much time on your opinions and not enough time following the arguments via the data.

439k= total UK recorded infections.
    5.2m = A conservative estimate (by seropositivity test in England, ref the economist and my many many comments on the disparity between the two) of the number of actual infections the UK has had......
    HK_Katherine and Insomnia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Your big picture its in the past, my big picture is in the present. My whole argument in this thread is a comparison between April and the present, your counter argument has been "but you're not considering the past!" eh? That makes no sense at all, it's like you're simply not looking at the data or something?

So I suggest you look at the graphs and react to those, things have changed since April.

If you think I might have written that the population of the UK is 5 million, you're simply spending too much time on your opinions and not enough time following the arguments via the data.

439k= total UK recorded infections.
    5.2m = A conservative estimate (by seropositivity test in England, ref the economist and my many many comments on the disparity between the two) of the number of actual infections the UK has had......
    Your 5 million was not clear which is why I put it as PostScript and with a question mark. You really do have a high opinion of yourself.

I will react to what I want to react to, which is your desperate attempt to defend your "it's all an overreaction" long held view. I do not take my opinions from unqualified amateurs on the internet but listen to experts.

Follow the data in this thread it's spelled out in plain terms.

I need a "solid" proof, not some random data spelled out in plain terms.

Also, if I may draw your attention here and there (scroll down) :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...-pandemic.html

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbein...-flu-pandemic/

There are many more but the two should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:

That second article is only looking at the peak months in March and April. So by definition it totally fails to capture the point being made by Sage that things are different at the moment. And only New York, which was particularly badly hit, so who knows what the reality it. Pretty poor science.
    Sage likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    He’s not my beloved Bojo (he’s a very naughty boy) but eminently more attractive than any current UK alternative apart from, ironically, the SNP.

by the way is this another one if you’re ‘I’m not politicising’ posts? We’ve had the Brexit yawn fest where people still don’t want to recognise democracy. Now we’ve got the US election ultra yawn fest where one decrepit old man’s best policy against another decrepit old man is to declare the election void due to postal anomaly

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Pretty poor science.

Okay, then let us see what you've "found out" -- the base to support what you've found out backed by evidence we all can mutually agree on.

Oh, wait. You have your own private hypothesis that do not run congruent to actual science but just your personal sentiments and values.. So, I spare you from that. You go, live in your world, I - in mine.
    TheBrit and Cornmeal like this.

You have no interest in actual proof. You accept your own interpretation as gospel and yet demand 'solid proof' (that presumably meets the international 'hannah standard') , to review your faith that survivability of covid hasn't improved.

As for the Spanish Flu garbage - Nobody gives a shit about 'Spanish Flu' all they care about is 50m deaths or 100m deaths and their ilk. Covid will achieve but a fraction of that (and from people who are significantly older than avg life expectancy in 1916 to boot). Even with a global population approaching 4 x what it was in 1918, we still only have 1m deaths out of a global total of 107m who die ever year.
    Last edited by Sage; 30-09-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

You have no interest in actual proof. You accept your own interpretation as gospel and yet demand 'solid proof' (that presumably meets the international 'hannah standard') , to review your faith that survivability of covid hasn't improved.

As for the Spanish Flu garbage - Nobody gives a shit about 'Spanish Flu' all they care about is 50m deaths or 100m deaths and their ilk. Covid will achieve but a fraction of that (and from people who are significantly older than avg life expectancy in 1916 to boot). Even with a global population approaching 4 x what it was in 1918, we still only have 1m deaths out of a global total of 107m who die ever year.
    You, sir, are accusing me of what you are committing. Your statement itself is a perfect illustration of arguing back solely on the basis of your own "interpretation".

Need I say more?

In the end, none of us here is qualified to assert their " claims" of "Covid is this , Covid is that" (whether it's verified by scientists/related personnel in the field, or our own - in your own words - interpretation).

So, I'm repeating what I did to Madam Katherine -- you go, live in your own world, I - in my own, shall we?
    TheBrit likes this.

You, sir, are accusing me of what you are committing. Your statement itself is a perfect illustration of arguing back solely on the basis of your own "interpretation".

Need I say more?

In the end, none of us here is qualified to assert their " claims" of "Covid is this , Covid is that" (whether it's verified by scientists/related personnel in the field, or our own - in your own words - interpretation).

So, I'm repeating what I did to Madam Katherine -- you go, live in your own world, I - in my own, shall we?
    If "living in your world" means opening a new line of attack in a debate about the Covid risk of travelling to the UK today then you better expect to get your flimsy arguments debunked, particularly when it’s one as spurious as 'Covid is as deadly as Spanish Flu'.

Seeing you’re such a purist for proof you might like to point out which of these facts is objectionable to you:

Deaths by Spanish flu in 3 yrs: 50-100m (50m)
    Deaths by covid in 9 months: 1m = (4m in 3 yrs)

Avg. life expectancy in 1917: 51.2
    Avg. life expectancy 2019: 72

Avg. age of covid fatalities (USA): 69.7

Avg. age of Spanish Flu fatalities globally 30

Life years lost to Spanish flu = 1.06bn at a conservative 50m count
    Life years lost to covid: 9.2m

Spanish flu = 115 x more life years lost than covid, assuming no improvement in mortality rates for 3 yrs and no vaccine.

Perhaps you can cite some data back at me other than just empty arguments?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

If "living in your world" means opening a new line of attack in a debate about the Covid risk of travelling to the UK today then you better expect to get your flimsy arguments debunked, particularly when it’s one as spurious as 'Covid is as deadly as Spanish Flu'.

Seeing you’re such a purist for proof you might like to point out which of these facts is objectionable to you:

Deaths by Spanish flu in 3 yrs: 50-100m (50m)
    Deaths by covid in 9 months: 1m = (4m in 3 yrs)

Avg. life expectancy in 1917: 51.2
    Avg. life expectancy 2019: 72

Avg. age of covid fatalities (USA): 69.7

Avg. age of Spanish Flu fatalities globally 30

Life years lost to Spanish flu = 1.06bn at a conservative 50m count
    Life years lost to covid: 9.2m

Spanish flu = 115 x more life years lost than covid, assuming no improvement in mortality rates for 3 yrs and no vaccine.

Perhaps you can cite some data back at me other than just empty arguments?

Gentleman, will you, first provide me the valid source(s) of those data you've given here? Aren't you yourself doing the things you don't want me to be doing? That's unfair, sire. Very.

Yours always,
    Hannah.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast