Like Tree207Likes

Should we stay or go?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Eat dim sum.
    I find dim sum boring. Were there good cheese fondue restaurants when you were living in Epauvillier?
    Insomnia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I find dim sum boring.
    And now I know why you're struggling to make relations with Chinese colleagues.
    TaD_LaLa and bak875 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    This is not a contest but a discussion. I am saying it is unrealistic to compare HK, which long has ignored the arts and culture, with places which are cultural capitals. Its not the right comparison. So museums in HK are alright actually. Not the best like I said, but certainly not rubbish.
    It's a little ridiculous to say "It's not the right comparison" so what, you mean we're only allowed to make comparisons with things that HK does well? Come on now.... HK claims to be a world city, it is a world class financial centre, very rich and it has mostly shit museums - all true statements and all totally fair.

So it would be unfair on poor Switzerland to compare it's energy with HK, because HK has a greater population density?

We are making a comparison with alternate places we might live and Paris, London, Madrid, New York are legit choices... But YES those 4 are likely the very best places in the world (along with a handful of others) and are cited as examples to show just how bad HK is in comparison.

It's still a fact that even cities in Switzerland one might end up in are all way better than HK for museums, because HK is mostly very Crap in that respect - Zurich, Basel, Geneva, Lausanne, Bern are all significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    It's a little ridiculous to say "It's not the right comparison" so what, you mean we're only allowed to make comparisons with things that HK does well? Come on now.... HK claims to be a world city, it is a world class financial centre, very rich and it has mostly shit museums - all true statements and all totally fair.

So it would be unfair on poor Switzerland to compare it's energy with HK, because HK has a greater population density?

We are making a comparison with alternate places we might live and Paris, London, Madrid, New York are legit choices... But YES those 4 are likely the very best places in the world (along with a handful of others) and are cited as examples to show just how bad HK is in comparison.

It's still a fact that even cities in Switzerland one might end up in are all way better than HK for museums, because HK is mostly very Crap in that respect - Zurich, Basel, Geneva, Lausanne, Bern are all significantly better.
    Not ridiculous at all, I am saying one should compare similar things to similar things. HK has never been known to be a high culture place well known for fine arts. It is rather pointless to say: "Oh look New York and Paris' museums are so much better! Yes that is true but HK is not New York or Paris, so why insist HK should be like them?

As for the the world city tag, no one outside the government or the brainwashed buys that. Every local knows that is bullshit not worth their time to ponder over.

And getting to the your point about HK museums being shit. Well by what criteria do you judge them as shit? The number and quality of exhibits? The size? The location? The number of museums? You do realize for a city with supposedly crappy museums, HK actually has quite a lot of them. The HK History Museum is actually rated 4.5 out 5 by visitors on the tripadvisor website. Not bad at all. So all in all, HK museums are mediocre. They are not the best and certainly has room to improve, but they are not shitty either.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

HK has never been known to be a high culture place well known for fine arts.
    Nail, head, struck

The central point of this thread is comparing places to live; Switz (undetermined city, I assume Zurich) vs HK

Museums
    Zurich 1, HK 0 (or should that be -1 as they are way down there)

High Culture (By your own admission)
    Zurich 1, HK 0

'World City'
    Zurich 1?, HK Bullshit (your words)

Shit (Mostly) by:
    The number and quality of exhibits? Yup
    The visual presentation of those exhibits.
    The quality of the information provided with the exhibits.

Weird that the host of the exhibit showing artworks/treasure that were plundered is somehow cultured these days.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Look at the HK museums? I don't need to, because I can go to Longji rice terraces or a Dong village and see living cultural heritage. I can go to temples. I can learn Chinese calligraphy, which is endlessly interesting.
    Can you though? In Europe you can actually travel around at the moment and if you fancy you can learn Chinese calligraphy in Switzerland.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Nail, head, struck

The central point of this thread is comparing places to live; Switz (undetermined city, I assume Zurich) vs HK

Museums
    Zurich 1, HK 0 (or should that be -1 as they are way down there)

High Culture (By your own admission)
    Zurich 1, HK 0

'World City'
    Zurich 1?, HK Bullshit (your words)

Shit (Mostly) by:
    The number and quality of exhibits? Yup
    The visual presentation of those exhibits.
    The quality of the information provided with the exhibits.

OK, now you are talking b.s. Just because Zurich has better museums does not mean HK museums are shit. The world is not divided into a simple binary choice between absolute masterpiece and garbage quality. My point was that museums in HK are not shit. They are not great, but they are not shit. So sorry, it seems you are typing nothing but highly subjective nonsense. There are no decent museums in HK?! You are talking simply out of your ass here. I seriously doubt you have actually been to any museums in HK.

This is a longstanding problem on geoexpat, the inability to recognize nuances, that reality isn't always black or white but has shades of grey. Either the West is absolute perfection and HK is garbage or HK is great and the West is a degenerate dump. Neither is true.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 10-10-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Can you though? In Europe you can actually travel around at the moment and if you fancy you can learn Chinese calligraphy in Switzerland.
    No, we can't, and it's very frustrating and something we take into consideration for the near future/next year.

Can I? If you have recommendations do let me know.

The world is not divided into a simple binary choice between absolute masterpiece and garbage quality. My point was that museums in HK are not shit. They are not great, but they are not shit. So sorry, it seems you are typing nothing but highly subjective nonsense. There are no decent museums in HK?! You are talking simply out of your ass here. I seriously doubt you have actually been to any museums in HK.
    Correct it's not.

This thread IS divided into a binary choice, there or here. Do you understand that?

And HK's museums compared to Zurich's are mostly shit in my opinion and not in your opinion. Both views are subjective, do you understand that?

As for B&W, if you're so nuanced why have you repeatedly attempted to make my opinion black? Mostly & "There are no decent museums in HK?".

I know the answer, do you?