Like Tree15Likes

ANT - Alternative Investments...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ANT - Alternative Investments...

Original Post Deleted
    Of course for all financial matters I check first with geoexpat. Don't you?

I am not buying either. The market seems to be dropping, and safer/more attractive alternatives are emerging.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    Of course for all financial matters I check first with geoexpat. Don't you?

I am not buying either. The market seems to be dropping, and safer/more attractive alternatives are emerging.
    Not sure why I'm biting, but it's only 9am and I'm not in a work groove yet.

Care to name one? This place is great for people taking down XYZ investment, but rare that someone has the courage to put their mouth where (they claim) their money is and actually tell us what they think will do better instead. So which investment will outperform Ant, and over which time horizon?

I didn't vote. The forum leans heavily towards chinese bears, nothing wrong with that perspective as everyone is entitled to an opinion and over X-horizon they may prove to be absolutely correct, but it will influence the poll and used to further the "seeee, no one with any sense is buying it, it's all lies that it's a million times over subscribed, ali baba hasn't actually went up 50% in the past few months, you misread that, it was swire instead etc"

This forum is generally brilliant for information on all things money broadly, and like you I consult it regularly, but it's also taught me that all investing is emotional, not just property as the adage goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:

So which investment will outperform Ant, and over which time horizon?

I consult it regularly, but it's also taught me that all investing is emotional, not just property as the adage goes.
    I am going to frame my response which is not thought out ... just word vomit if you want.

- The argument is not about investing in ANT, it is about locking up funds for small rewards at IPO.

- A good investment with a long horizon (for me it is 3-5 years, for some it is 10+ years - which I think is a not appropriate for me as there are some other factors at play) and the IPO price is not important. A good opportunity will survive the initial volatility and it will survive a quarter or two worth of results. No point FOMOing over it.

- Risk, time frames and conviction are personal circumstances... yours are different from others. Some people I know have locked up 100sK HKD at 10x margin to bid on the IPO. Not appropriate in my mind for a conservative risks investor - specially if you're looking at things long term.

- Will ANT prosper - I am sure it will. But it is not a pure financial decision. Far too much of our portofolio and wealth is in a single-country risk situation and some of us are diversifying it.

If I was a betting man, I'd put some cash into HKEX and/or other indirect beneficiaries of the IPO craze that is hitting HK right now. HKEX has a direct and tangible benefit from people who are FOMOing over the IPOs.

I am a betting man, and I will put $20 into today's Mark Six. 100% risk... and 1/billion reward.

(I am aiming for a portfolio that has 3.5-5% income and 4-5% a year growth - 7-10% total return / year. Rest is noise and entertainment...)
    traineeinvestor, sunyhk and pin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I am going to frame my response which is not thought out ... just word vomit if you want.

- The argument is not about investing in ANT, it is about locking up funds for small rewards at IPO.

- A good investment with a long horizon (for me it is 3-5 years, for some it is 10+ years - which I think is a not appropriate for me as there are some other factors at play) and the IPO price is not important. A good opportunity will survive the initial volatility and it will survive a quarter or two worth of results. No point FOMOing over it.

- Risk, time frames and conviction are personal circumstances... yours are different from others. Some people I know have locked up 100sK HKD at 10x margin to bid on the IPO. Not appropriate in my mind for a conservative risks investor - specially if you're looking at things long term.

- Will ANT prosper - I am sure it will. But it is not a pure financial decision. Far too much of our portofolio and wealth is in a single-country risk situation and some of us are diversifying it.

If I was a betting man, I'd put some cash into HKEX and/or other indirect beneficiaries of the IPO craze that is hitting HK right now. HKEX has a direct and tangible benefit from people who are FOMOing over the IPOs.

I am a betting man, and I will put $20 into today's Mark Six. 100% risk... and 1/billion reward.
    You were pretty much the last person my post was aimed at, tbf. You're always reasonably forthright about various investments, to the level appropriate for what is an open forum. Thanks for responding though, interesting thoughts.
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 29-10-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Care to name one? This place is great for people taking down XYZ investment, but rare that someone has the courage to put their mouth where (they claim) their money is and actually tell us what they think will do better instead. So which investment will outperform Ant, and over which time horizon?

I didn't vote. The forum leans heavily towards chinese bears, nothing wrong with that perspective as everyone is entitled to an opinion and over X-horizon they may prove to be absolutely correct, but it will influence the poll and used to further the "seeee, no one with any sense is buying it, it's all lies that it's a million times over subscribed, ali baba hasn't actually went up 50% in the past few months, you misread that, it was swire instead etc"

This forum is generally brilliant for information on all things money broadly, and like you I consult it regularly, but it's also taught me that all investing is emotional, not just property as the adage goes.
    I am one of those willing to share the stocks they have and/or are planning to purchase. Currently in my shopping list is (in bracket the yield):

RQI (6.55)
    UTF (5.81)
    ETV (6.88)
    THQ (5.36)
    BST (3.31)
    UTG (4.77)
    GOF (8.73)
    PCI (7.75)

As you can see, the yield is rather high, so these ETF/closed end funds are more volatile and, they are going to grow less. But I hope to be able to semi-retire in a few months, and live off the dividends.

I don't know if they are going to outperform ANT, but I think they are safer, more predictable, options.

Any comments are always welcome.

You were pretty much the last person my post was aimed at, tbf.
    Was just trying to steer the discussion with my vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I am one of those willing to share the stocks they have and/or are planning to purchase. Currently in my shopping list is (in bracket the yield):

RQI (6.55)
    UTF (5.81)
    ETV (6.88)
    THQ (5.36)
    BST (3.31)
    UTG (4.77)
    GOF (8.73)
    PCI (7.75)

As you can see, the yield is rather high, so these ETF/closed end funds are more volatile and, they are going to grow less. But I hope to be able to semi-retire in a few months, and live off the dividends.

I don't know if they are going to outperform ANT, but I think they are safer, more predictable, options.

Any comments are always welcome.
    I just realised I had you confused with periphery. Apologies.

For shits and giggles, take a look at EMQQ ... just saying that because it's you.

BST (3.31)
    For more shits and giggles, take a look at its distribution make up. There might be a good surprise for you... or there might not be. It will be a year long experiment on the surprise factor.

LINK at 60 looks like a good buy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For shits and giggles, take a look at EMQQ ... just saying that because it's you.
    EMQQ doesn't have a divident. And I am John, not Emqq

For more shits and giggles, take a look at its distribution make up. There might be a good surprise for you... or there might not be. It will be a year long experiment on the surprise factor.
    BST is a bit like QQQ, plus the monthly dividend (price change since 1.1.2020 is exactly the same). I don't know what you mean by "distribution make up" or with the "experiment on the surprise factor".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast