Like Tree235Likes

Leaving HK for the kids...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    There are plenty of international schools where the kids learn basically nothing about HK, so I’m surprised that any foreigner attending one is concerned about local education policy.

Moving to Singapore is hilarious - wasn’t there a kid arrested there for making fun of religion on youtube?
    You'd be surprised

- a few years ago, a lot of the extended essays at Y13 level, proposed by students and approved by their advisors were about local issues including the Umbrella movement, income disparities and a wide range of topics. This is learning / researching. Much of this is being restricted as no school wants to be in the headlines right now.

- Learning v/s being taught - two different things as the kids grow older.
    Baklava, Mrs. Jones and drumbrake like this.

Original Post Deleted
    But you didn’t go back to your home country, and I assume if that had been your only option you’d have a different view?

I’m sure we’d all be happier in New Zealand but we don’t have passports or visas to go there. People’s destination options determine if leaving HK for the kids is a good idea or not.

I don’t know a single South African in HK who’s heading back there anytime soon for example.
    Coolboy, Mrs. Jones and Jillypots like this.

But you didn’t go back to your home country, and I assume if that had been your only option you’d have a different view?

I’m sure we’d all be happier in New Zealand but we don’t have passports or visas to go there. People’s destination options determine if leaving HK for the kids is a good idea or not.

I don’t know a single South African in HK who’s heading back there anytime soon for example.
    Which is why my coworker left for SG- husband got a job there she wasn't happy with local schools- if you are local HK, don't have the visas to go elsewhere (like my coworkers) and don't have the money for international schools, what are your options? She felt like they would get better English skills in SG or at least more hours of English instruction in SG, giving them more university options in English-speaking countries. Expats are privileged, can leave anytime (and usually have choices of countries other than their home countries) but if you are local Chinese and not super rich, you really have to weigh the options.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

I chose the UK over HK and would do so again without any hesitation. Though perhaps not right at this moment
    bak875 likes this.

I don't know any families that are going to move back to their home countries anytime soon. Seems HK is still the better option right now compared to the states..

traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I chose the UK over HK and would do so again without any hesitation. Though perhaps not right at this moment
    How long would this moment be?

It's human nature to think the "grass is greener over there", regardless of where "there" happens to be. Before we became expats, greener pastures were overseas. Then after a while being overseas, some will long to "go back where they came from", only to discover "back home" wasn't as great as they imagine it to be.

There is no perfect "place" in the end.

Original Post Deleted
    Then why come to HK in the first place if the UK is paved with gold, why ever leave it?
    traineeinvestor likes this.

After 10 years at the Australian school in HK, my kids have settled well into Australian public school since January this year. Riding bikes to school, going to friends houses after school, no such thing as ECA's (formal extra curricular activities). We got a dog, a rabbit, my kids bedrooms have walk in closets that are bigger than their old HK bedrooms. So they are happy here in Aus. For me its back to home after 20 years away, but for wife a kids its a whole new experience.

TheBrit, shri, mrgoodkat and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    How long would this moment be?

It's human nature to think the "grass is greener over there", regardless of where "there" happens to be. Before we became expats, greener pastures were overseas. Then after a while being overseas, some will long to "go back where they came from", only to discover "back home" wasn't as great as they imagine it to be.

There is no perfect "place" in the end.
    That makes no sense really. I lived in the UK, then HK, then the Philippines, then the UK, now the Philippines. For me the best way to live is to consider the grass to be greener wherever you are (well except when I lived in Slough, nowhere is worse than that)
    Elegiaque and Jillypots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Then why come to HK in the first place if the UK is paved with gold, why ever leave it?
    You are being a twat again.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast