Like Tree44Likes

Shenzhen detainees jailed for up to three years

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Surprised because the "ringleaders" were facing 7 years and I figured they would get 7 years. I mean, three years is still pretty awful, in a Chinese prison...

And the others could have gotten a year so 7 months is also a bit lower...

Of course, I am sure they can work out some new charges before their time is up- and I bet anyone facing prison time on HK charges will just transfer directly to a HK jail as a potential "flight risk..."
    https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...25102141526016

https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...26934435840006

The reason for the apparent “leniency”.

A ten minute trial.

About average for China.

It's a story of revenge and demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Crap, been taken down or deleted- can you please elaborate on what they said?? Thanks!

sounds about fair sentence as they are guilty as charged and were found in mainland waters in the botched escape

mainland didn't throw the book at them on any national security laws which they could have..

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:
    sounds about fair sentence as they are guilty as charged and were found in mainland waters in the botched escape

mainland didn't throw the book at them on any national security laws which they could have..
    NSL will be charged in HK, after getting out of Mainland. The NSL "violations" happened in HK, not Mainland.

Gives HK more time to work on the charges...some had been charged already and will likely also be charged with absconding...

NSL will be charged in HK, after getting out of Mainland. The NSL "violations" happened in HK, not Mainland.

Gives HK more time to work on the charges...some had been charged already and will likely also be charged with absconding...
    mainland cld have finished the job for hkg on nsl charges...

Crap, been taken down or deleted- can you please elaborate on what they said?? Thanks!
    Two two HKers who were found guilty of "organising illegal border crossing" organised the action "according to someone else's arrangement", announcement from Yantian Court said.
    Opinions of lawyers hired by #12HKers families via @save12hkyouths
    :1, The allegation of "organising illegally border crossing" cannot be substantiated if one only bought or drove the boat used in the crossing

2, Even if the allegation is substantiated, the sentence is too heavy3, According to information in the court's announcement, it can't be ruled out that more will be arrested
    On a separate topic, I’m curious what and why NSL violations would have at all been in play under any reasonable interpretation.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

On a separate topic, I’m curious what and why NSL violations would have at all been in play under any reasonable interpretation.
    The Mainland case was not about NSL, was purely illegal border crossing, that's my understanding. Several arrested had already been charged in HK (hence the absconding part for HK if they choose to pursue it)- for those who had not already been charged and therefore had passports, well, they should have just flown anywhere out of HK rather than risk interception by the Mainland coast guard. But maybe they were short of money and this seemed like the only alternative, heaven help them.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

I am sure there is a national security law (or they could find a law) on the mainland that they could prosecute these guys on...

put differently, if this was say a mainlander who came to hkg to participate in what these guys did, then then went back to the Mainland.. you think they would not be charged under some nsl law?

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:

Passing through waters of a different nation isn't legally a border crossing. Only landing actually is. Otherwise you couldn't sail a container ship from Vietnam to Korea without getting arrested in China. So the Chinese charges are complete and utter bullshit.