Like Tree202Likes

LeaveHomeSafe - No longer "Voluntary"

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I still remember a similar discussion a few months ago, ppl equating it with credit card, as if Carrie's secretary have direct access to a bank's mainframe to reconstruct your smallest movement based on credit card tx (that aren't even geolocated - but I digress).. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Sage likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    If anything, filling in the contact tracing cards on paper would be better no? CHP could come and start calling up everyone who wrote their names on the card if there was an outbreak whereas app users can simply choose to ignore any notification (and I suppose they can't be contacted individually anyway?).

Original Post Deleted
    Good point you can't, just like you can't guarantee that with the app either.

That's why we've establish our own preferred work arounds.

Original Post Deleted
    ... or unsafe, depending on where you stand on privacy, quarantine camps and government trustworthiness ...

I have no issues with people not wanting to use the app or using a burner to do so if they leave proper contact details. If you're Jimmy Lai, it seems sensible. For 98% of the population, it seems paranoid but whatever floats people's boat. What do I care if the government knows I've been to a particular restaurant or building? I have issues with people trying to game the system, lying and hiding to avoid being found in case of necessary testing. The excuse that the government might all of a sudden round up everyone that's been in a particular location and send them to quarantine is again somewhat paranoid though they did put a bunch of kids and teachers doing exams in a hall which seemed a bit over the top. The more likely and sensible path is that people be informed/tracked to be tested. I accept the risk of being quarantined because the flip side of hiding myself while being positive and infecting/sending potentially dozens of others into quarantine/hospital as one moron did is simply just too selfish, if anyone was that irresponsible, I would fire/ditch them in a nanosecond. Ironically the reason why harder quarantine and stricter tracing is necessary is illustrated here by the amount of people that are quite happy to flout rules because they are more concerned about themselves than the risk to others. I certainly don't disagree that there are flaws and inconsistencies in the government's approach but if they are trying ways to open up businesses more quickly and being more selective in targeted closures/testing, I'm all for that instead of everything being shutdown.

marshall24 likes this.

The question is what is this data really going to be used for, which is being collected by this cheapo 1980s barcodes based platform.

Anyone with an iPhone or Google based Android phone can readily provide a full timeline of movements by default using the mapping apps for contact tracing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I have no issues with people not wanting to use the app or using a burner to do so if they leave proper contact details. If you're Jimmy Lai, it seems sensible. For 98% of the population, it seems paranoid but whatever floats people's boat. What do I care if the government knows I've been to a particular restaurant or building? I have issues with people trying to game the system, lying and hiding to avoid being found in case of necessary testing. The excuse that the government might all of a sudden round up everyone that's been in a particular location and send them to quarantine is again somewhat paranoid though they did put a bunch of kids and teachers doing exams in a hall which seemed a bit over the top. The more likely and sensible path is that people be informed/tracked to be tested. I accept the risk of being quarantined because the flip side of hiding myself while being positive and infecting/sending potentially dozens of others into quarantine/hospital as one moron did is simply just too selfish, if anyone was that irresponsible, I would fire/ditch them in a nanosecond. Ironically the reason why harder quarantine and stricter tracing is necessary is illustrated here by the amount of people that are quite happy to flout rules because they are more concerned about themselves than the risk to others. I certainly don't disagree that there are flaws and inconsistencies in the government's approach but if they are trying ways to open up businesses more quickly and being more selective in targeted closures/testing, I'm all for that instead of everything being shutdown.
    The reason so many people will dodge the data collection attempt is because the govt approach to Covid is shit in some key areas. (Not all but some important ones)

And as long as those with an overly poor ability to assess real risk keep supporting all their policies, those of us with a better grasp of reality will simply sidestep them, which effectively brings risk mitigation more in line with the actual risk Covid represents.

Respect must be earned, and HK policy has lost respect in some key areas.

Have any of you actually been out since Thursday? I went out to eat yesterday and filled in a form at the front of the restaurant. They just had small pre printed sheets of paper asking for name, phone number, date and time. You could write anything and no one would know. They also had the QR code at the front of the door. Again, you could just pretend you scanned it and no one would check.

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Have any of you actually been out since Thursday? I went out to eat yesterday and filled in a form at the front of the restaurant. They just had small pre printed sheets of paper asking for name, phone number, date and time. You could write anything and no one would know. They also had the QR code at the front of the door. Again, you could just pretend you scanned it and no one would check.
    Lunch today (NT), nothing. Dinner last night, paper (and lunch). Dinner this evening.was the most insistent... In the club where we live so they know us personally anyway. Rediculous.

UK now reporting that crowded beaches in summer resulted in ZERO transmission. If HK government applied evidence based science, more people would take heed.of their suggestions.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    UK now reporting that crowded beaches in summer resulted in ZERO transmission. If HK government applied evidence based science, more people would take heed.of their suggestions.
    In fairness, I trust the UK's testing numbers even less than I trust HK or the mainland's numbers right now!
    marshall24 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast