Like Tree130Likes

Big picture on state of covid HK (2021, 2022)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel_:
    Thousands of people suffered permanent narcolepsy and paralysis after the swine flu vaccine in 2009. Some participants in the Covid vaccine trials suffered bells palsy, transverse myelitis after the shot.

Covid-19 has a 99.8% survival rate... Can you blame people for vaccine hesitancy?
    An extra 1.6 cases per million vaccinations. The benefits far exceeded the risks. But hey it is a reasonable concern so I won't challenge it.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...iclekey=168492
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel_:

Covid-19 has a 99.8% survival rate... Can you blame people for vaccine hesitancy?
    Ye, I can. In the US alone 30,000,000 people have been sickened by this virus and over 500,000 have died. Uncounted millions worldwide will die or suffer lifelong effects from having had it. The virus kills the poor, the ethnically "different" in the US, people with underlying medical conditions, people who are incarcerated, and the elderly at a substantially higher rates. I don't know what point you were meaning to make, but yes I can blame people for vaccine hesitancy because it isn't just themselves they are putting at risk. Although you didn't opine on this issue, I would add that I also have a very hard time understanding how refusing to wear a mask to protect the health of oneself and others has become equated with "freedom" in the minds of many. To them I would say put down the guns, put on your masks, and grow up.

Sorry, but I am so very weary of people (not you) who aren't coming together to help end this pandemic even if it means there is a tiny chance that a vaccine will affect them adversely.

Original Post Deleted
    still a drug and these days all drugs and vaccines are meticulously tested. Surely no one can deny the fact that in comparison to other modern day drugs this one has (necessarily) been rushed to market. My point remains that the rewards outweigh the risks.

I’m not an anti vaxer I’m patiently waiting my turn and have stated so enough times. Keep arguing that corners were not cut to get these to market though you look so good with that argument

any yet again I’ll point out it is is risk worth taking under current circumstances

15th? That'll be the 39th day plus whatever for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    15th? That'll be the 39th day plus whatever for me.
    "Before the 15th" which could mean any date over the next two or three weeks. In a democracy you would have to say the government would be under serious pressure over this.

I've always learnt the accept the worst case scenario as being most likely.

hullexile and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cblurton:
    Ye, I can. In the US alone 30,000,000 people have been sickened by this virus and over 500,000 have died. Uncounted millions worldwide will die or suffer lifelong effects from having had it. The virus kills the poor, the ethnically "different" in the US, people with underlying medical conditions, people who are incarcerated, and the elderly at a substantially higher rates. I don't know what point you were meaning to make, but yes I can blame people for vaccine hesitancy because it isn't just themselves they are putting at risk. Although you didn't opine on this issue, I would add that I also have a very hard time understanding how refusing to wear a mask to protect the health of oneself and others has become equated with "freedom" in the minds of many. To them I would say put down the guns, put on your masks, and grow up.

Sorry, but I am so very weary of people (not you) who aren't coming together to help end this pandemic even if it means there is a tiny chance that a vaccine will affect them adversely.
    Agree and disagree, your facts aren't wrong, but they're presented like they're indicative of inequality.

Those who do die (a tiny fraction of those who become infected as was quoted perfectly correctly) come from across the social strata. The biggest risk factor is age then pre-existing conditions, particularly ones associated with poor lifestyle choice.

There will also likely be a significant component of genetics, yet to be determined, but Vitamin D deficiency will almost certainly be one. The very poorest nations on this planet, mostly located in Africa have been relatively lightly affected.

As for getting vaccinated, I'm personally in favour, but anyone who is insistent that everyone must get vaxxed in order to protect the minority - nah, bollocks.

You know how vaccines work right? They prime YOUR immune system. Nobody else. You're responsible for your own health; society helps out to an extent, but the responsibility is still yours.

For those that taking a vaccine represents a very high risk, that's unfortunate, but such is life. Nobody is dealt an equal hand from the get-go.

The choices everyone makes across their whole life move us up the relative risk ladder or down it, never static.

Such is life.
    Last edited by Sage; 27-03-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Tandy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Agree and disagree, your facts aren't wrong, but they're presented like they're indicative of inequality.

Those who do die (a tiny fraction of those who become infected as was quoted perfectly correctly) come from across the social strata. The biggest risk factor is age then pre-existing conditions, particularly ones associated with poor lifestyle choice.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ethnicity.html

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast