Like Tree109Likes

Guilty until proven innocent

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Guilty until proven innocent

As mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, I was involved in a “car accident”. Why the quotes? Because in fact, there was no accident.

The back story:
    My vehicle is stopped at a red light and in the middle lane. Opposition vehicle (Toyota) is also stopped at the light on the left lane (left of me and about 1 car length behind).

While we were both stationary, I signalled my left turn indicators to change lanes. When the light turned green we both inched forward. I watched his vehicle speed up deliberately, so I slowed down and wanted to let him carry forward before I changed lanes. Right as the Toyota was about to pass my vehicle, the Toyota stops and rolls down his window and says I hit him. At this point, both our cars are almost side by side. I noticed the distance between our cars were at least 1-2 feet apart. So I was in confusion when he said I had hit him. So I decided to move forward and park my car on the side of the road to avoid further traffic build up. Since my car and his were not touching I was able to continue driving forward and park.

We get out of the vehicle and examine if there were any damages. Both vehicles were spotless. Not even dust or a scratch was to be found on the assumed touch points. Toyota driver said her “heard” a bang. So we examine further, the only plausible touch points during the lane change was my front left side (passenger) and the toyoto’s front right side (driver).

It was clearly concluded that there was no actual contact. But the owner argues he heard a bang and will not conclude there was no accident. So we said lets call the traffic police.

The police arrive at the scene and took both our statements and reviewed both vehicles. They indicated no accident has taken place and no damages were found. No ticket was issued to either parties. However, the Toyota driver was unpleased with this verdict and said he will pursuit further with complaints including “dangerous driving” and “impacting” his driving conditions.

So since this accident, I have been harassed by another police department (traffic complaint? I think) asking me for video evidence and my vehicle insurance etc. I was being reasonable and complied with this officers request and showed him the videos and details. It was clear no contact was made. But the officer asked if I was able to go down for a statement, which I declined. It is unnecessary and is a waste of time given that the video evidence was strong enough to support there was no accident.

However, from Feb til now, the officer has come back to me multiple times asking for this and that. This morning the cop asked again if I am willing to provide a statement. Which I rejected via whatsapp and I did not pick up his 2 calls. Not only is the cop dragging out this pointless case, he is wasting my time after I have discussed details and shared video evidence already.

This is partly a rant and partly to seek advise on what are the possible consequences on this case. How much more time will I have to waste if I have to appeal in court if the officer decides to charge me a random charge. Has anyone experienced something so ridiculous and childish?

Some assumptions:

- The vehicle is not an Alphard with China plates
    - The owner is not a connected individual or company - see above.

Here's what I would do....

- Tell the officer your hearing is bad and to fax or mail you his requests

Figure out who is the senior operational officer who would be involved in this situation:

https://tel.directory.gov.hk/index_HKPF_ENG.html

Email and FAX them your issues (and make sure you're not admitting anything which might come back and bite you in the arse..) and see if they can review the case.

Have not done this with the police but there are instances where I've dealt with them and going a little bit up the ladder brings some sanity to the situation. With a couple of other departments, getting a supervisory officer to review did work.

To add to the above, I don't get why ANYONE would communicate via Whatapp in a legal situation. It is unprofessional and lazy.

I also do not think voice calls should be accepted for any legal requests.

emx, MABinPengChau, hike and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    So since this accident, I have been harassed by another police department (traffic complaint? I think) asking me for video evidence and my vehicle insurance etc. I was being reasonable and complied with this officers request and showed him the videos and details. It was clear no contact was made. But the officer asked if I was able to go down for a statement, which I declined. It is unnecessary and is a waste of time given that the video evidence was strong enough to support there was no accident.

However, from Feb til now, the officer has come back to me multiple times asking for this and that. This morning the cop asked again if I am willing to provide a statement. Which I rejected via whatsapp and I did not pick up his 2 calls. Not only is the cop dragging out this pointless case, he is wasting my time after I have discussed details and shared video evidence already.

This is partly a rant and partly to seek advise on what are the possible consequences on this case. How much more time will I have to waste if I have to appeal in court if the officer decides to charge me a random charge. Has anyone experienced something so ridiculous and childish?
    Did the "complaints" department contact you in writing first?

I have never had to provide insurance details with any dealing with the traffic Police.

Why on earth are you using Whatsapp with the "Police"?

Sounds all too fishy to me.
    shri, aw451, Philips and 2 others like this.

It's up the police to build a case against you. Sounds like the twat is pressuring the police to pursue this. Don't help them any further to build a case.

The more you provide them with the more chance they have of getting s.o.m.e.t.h.i.n.g.

aw451, D.YU, hongkong7 and 1 others like this.

Common scam in the mainland. The problem will go away when you pay the "police officer" some money. At least until it doesn't.

Report it to the actual police.

aw451 likes this.

Agreed the twat is pressuring the police to do something.

I used whatsapp to share the car cam videos and my pictures/videos I took of the vehicles. And I used whatsapp when I didnt want to answer his calls.

I know he is trying to gather more and try to build a case against me. Hence I refused a statement. Even if I went in for a statement, all queries I will answer with "remain silent".

But I am curious how far are the cops will to go for a ridiculous case like this? It is a waste of my time to go to court over a blank accusation.

I wonder if I filed a complaint to the police "mr. Li Ka shing molested me, please ask him for a statement" would the police have the balls to actually invite Mr.Li to the police station lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alunharford:
    Common scam in the mainland. The problem will go away when you pay the "police officer" some money. At least until it doesn't.

Report it to the actual police.
    Doesnt seem like a scam. The at scene officer told me this department will reach out to me since the twat went to complaint department. I also received gov traffic letters indicating the case and is ongoing investigation.

Doesnt seem like a scam. The at scene officer told me this department will reach out to me since the twat went to complaint department. I also received gov traffic letters indicating the case and is ongoing investigation.
    Just to clarify, I dont know which department this is lol. I cant recall which unit specifically. It is an escalated case since the traffic cops have concluded "no accident".

Just to clarify, I dont know which department this is lol. I cant recall which unit specifically. It is an escalated case since the traffic cops have concluded "no accident".
    I guess you don't have 'no accident in writing?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast