Like Tree134Likes

What are you cooking tonight?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Wagyu with Thai Sauce and egg yolk. Quite simple compared to what you guys post here but delicious. I did not make the sauce myself. It was a bit overcooked for my taste, but the rest of the family likes it like that

Beer-can chicken and Elote (Roasted Mexican Street Corn). Pictures and not mine. Didn't have the presence of mind to take pictures before I started eating.

Name:  beer-can-chicken-resting-on-sheet-pan-horizontal.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  57.4 KB

https://www.kcet.org/food-discovery/...er-can-chicken

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...t_corn_elotes/

CarterTG likes this.

oh I miss the days of going to the Red Hook Ball fields in the summer and tucking into freshly made elotes and huaraches washed down with cold horchata.

huja likes this.

I baked Chinese crispy pork, steamed up some bok choy and short grain rice.

huja and Andy SNK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I baked Chinese crispy pork, steamed up some bok choy and short grain rice.

Nice. Could you share the crispy pork recipe, please?

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Nice. Could you share the crispy pork recipe, please?
    Seeing as you asked and it's always fun trading simple recipes with people that appreciate good food and can pretty much replicate their restaurant grade food favourites, at home.

If you follow my simple Siu Yuk recipe you will end up with a perfect Crispy Chinese Pork Belly once you have finished cooking it, diced it with your meat clever and then plated it to serve with steamed rice and bok choy hehe.

Ingredients you will need for marination and to help further dry out the skin.

1 to 1.5kg of boneless pork belly with skin.
    2 Table spoons of Shaoxing wine
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1/2 a teaspoon of chinese 5 spice powder
    1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons of rice wine vinegar
    About 1/2 a cup of course Himalayan pink salt

OK first of all you will need a 1 to 1.5kg boneless pork belly slab with skin ( obviously).

The next step pour your is to rinse off the skin with water and paper towel dry the skin.

Then flip the meat slab over skin side down.

Then with a basting brush, brush the all the surface of the meat back and sides ( not any of the skin ) with the Shaoxing wine.

then rub a mixture or the 5 spice powder and white pepper all over the lighly shaoxing wine dampened meat, evenly.

Once you have done that, flip the meat over in an open tray and allow the skin to dry and meat to marinate in the spice rub for 24 hours.

Next step is to place the meat on some silver foil, and bring the sides of the foil level to the height of the meat on all 4 sides.

Once you have done that, prick the skin with lots of tiny holes with the end of a BBQ skewer, peppering the entire skin surface with tiny pin prick holes.

once you have done that then place the silver foiled pork belly into an oven tray. while it is in the oven tray, then brush on the rice wine vinegar over the entire surface of the skin area, evenly. Once you have completed this, then put about a 5mm thick layer of Himalayan course pink salt over the entire skin area. This will create a crust which you will scrape off after you have baked the pork in the oven at 200 degree c ( 375 degrees F for 60 minutes.

Once you have removed the pork belly with the crusty salt coating, scrape all of the salt off and then wipe the surface down with a paper towel.

now place the pork belly skin side up into the oven under the griller, and proceed to grill the skin on the highest grill temp setting, and periodically turn the meat 1/4 turn every 2 - 3 minutes ( this part is important to pay attention and keep an eye on your skin as you dont want to burn it. ) so you get an evenly cooked crispy skin. you'll hear it crackle and sizzle and the texture of the skin get little air bubbles in it.

keep 1/4 turning it about every 2 - 3 minutes until you have a nice and even crispy surface.

Once thats done, remove from the griller and pop onto a wooden chopping board and chop into lenghts ( width ways and then cut them into cubs with a ( preferably ) sharp meat clever.

Once you have completed that.

Neatly serve onto a plate with freshly steamed or pan sautéed Bok Choy and some steamed rice ( I prefer short grain but long grain jasmine rice is fine too )

Then provide some condiment dishes with some Hot English mustard, crunchy chili paste/oil and light soy sauce and you are good to go.

If you follow the above recipe and prep method, you will end up with perfect Siu Yuk every time.

Good luck and happy eating!
    huja and Andy SNK like this.

Outstanding. Thank you, @Skyhook. Looks very straightforward with your detailed directions.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Outstanding. Thank you, @Skyhook. Looks very straightforward with your detailed directions.
    Yeah it's pretty straight forward, just don't burn it during the grilling skin stage ! lol

Also
    I forgot to mention a step..

after you apply the 5 spice rub to the meat, skin facing down, flip it so the skin faces up on the tray, pop it in the fridge to dry out and marinate for 24 hours. So yeah, put it in the fridge do not leave it out on the bench for 24 hours hahah...

The rest of the steps are correct though
    huja likes this.

Fourth of July dinner at Casa Huja: BBQ spareribs, Chinese style. Hawaiian macaroni salad on a bed of arugula. Key lime pie for dessert.
    Name:  Image.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  1.24 MB
    Name:  Image (1).jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  902.4 KB

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...cued-spareribs

https://interactive.wttw.com/playlis...-cooks-country

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...h_experience_1

tf19 and shri like this.

Oi Huja, when are you going to have a crack at baking your own Sui Yuk aka Chinese crispy pork belly ?

I also find that served with steamed short grain rice instead of long grain rice and the obligatory steamed bok choy, light soy and hot English mustard accoutrements is slightly more satisfying than just using bog stock standard steamed long grain jasmine rice in my opinion.

Always a winner if you don't have a Chinese BBQ meat shop conveniently located to where you live, which in my case does not exist, our closest being 45 minutes away, so it's easier for us just to bake our own, when we are feeling a bit Hongkie.

So, yeah, when's Sui Yuk going to be on Casa Huja's kitchen menu? I am looking forward to pics of your handy work :-)

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast