Like Tree68Likes

School isn't letting me take contract home

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sigh.

To all the people getting on their high horse with "run! run! run!" advice, bear in mind that the OP probably doesn't have a lot of other options here. It's not like he's already working and considering a move, it doesn't sound like he's well established in the international teaching system where he can choose from a range of countries around the world to work in, this sounds like his first job.

It sounds like the local system is just totally inflexible (is this a surprise to anyone in the slightest?), and HR isn't exactly known for thinking out of the box. Having a verbal explanation of benefits over the phone, having plenty of time to read a contract on site, having someone onhand to answer questions, should mitigate a lot of other concerns.

Given how messed up things are at the moment, having a job offer is probably better than not having a job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Having a verbal explanation of benefits over the phone, having plenty of time to read a contract on site, having someone onhand to answer questions, should mitigate a lot of other concerns.
    So I spoke to the school and they've said I can take as much time as I want to review the contract on campus and that I should bring any questions and possible amendments I have to them after I've read it over. They will give me a copy to take home once I have signed. I am going to go in with a list of things of what I should be looking out for and I will message my dad during my review in case there are any things I don't get. A friend of mine is also sending me an online draft of her contract that she got sent before she started her job so I can compare it.

Thank you @jgl for all your help. I admit I also don't have many options at the moment and would rather have a job than not.
    jgl, Coolboy, spode and 6 others like this.

To the OP - If the school gives you time to read through the document and respond to your questions on the clauses, it should be OK. Even if it's at the premises. In general, document retention and protection is usually a big thing in all organisations, so this practice followed by this particular school could be their way of managing things. They are allowing you to read the contract, ask questions etc. It's unlikely there would be any trojan horse clause, however, please read through if there are any clauses for newspapers, NSL etc etc. You cannot ask them to remove those clauses, but just to be aware of what you'd be expected of.

Coolboy, shri, shaunli and 1 others like this.

HR are idiots. My guys wanted information ie proof of my vaccination status, so I sent them my second shot details via the ehealth app, which specifies that it's a second shot of such and such vaccine. They then told me that they also needed my first dose details to confirm that I had had 2 shots.

shri, UK/HKboy, jgl and 7 others like this.

Maybe it' was being older and nearing the end of my career (jaded) but I don't think I even read my contract properly before signing it. (Other than the salary!)

However, they did send it to me by email to read before going in to sign it. 2nd time I just signed and sent back a scanned copy as I was in the UK. This was a Hong Kong DSS school.

HK_Katherine likes this.

remember you are asking someone from school who is not a lawyer to explain terms to you that you do not understand or unclear about. You are asking them for their "intepretation" .

Remember, it is not what is written in the contract that will get you....it is what is NOT written in the contract that will hurt you $$$$.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    remember you are asking someone from school who is not a lawyer to explain terms to you that you do not understand or unclear about. You are asking them for their "intepretation" .
    The language used in every employment contract I have ever seen has been pretty straightforwards. It's never been anything as complex as what I've come across with commercial law or IP, which often reads more like arcane gibberish.

Unless the OP has wildly misrepresented the situation, it's a position at a normal, local school, which means bog standard employment contract rather than some customised thing designed to shaft noobs.

I see no need to be unduly alarmist here, it's not helpful to say generic things like it is not what is written in the contract that will get you....it is what is NOT written in the contract that will hurt you $$$$. Specific examples might be useful, but not this.

The language used in every employment contract I have ever seen has been pretty straightforwards. It's never been anything as complex as what I've come across with commercial law or IP, which often reads more like arcane gibberish.

Unless the OP has wildly misrepresented the situation, it's a position at a normal, local school, which means bog standard employment contract rather than some customised thing designed to shaft noobs.

I see no need to be unduly alarmist here, it's not helpful to say generic things like it is not what is written in the contract that will get you....it is what is NOT written in the contract that will hurt you $$$$. Specific examples might be useful, but not this.
    It's possible the contract is for one of those teaching centres who appear to live to shaft their staff. Best to understand that first....
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's possible the contract is for one of those teaching centres who appear to live to shaft their staff. Best to understand that first....
    I'd agree that he'd have to be extremely careful of a 'teaching' centre, but it sounds like it's a real school.

I got a job offer from a local school but when I asked if I could take the contract away to look it over and make sure everything was okay for me, the HR manager gave a very adamant 'No'.

Hopefully it's a proper school and not something dodgy.

I'd agree that he'd have to be extremely careful of a 'teaching' centre, but it sounds like it's a real school.

I got a job offer from a local school but when I asked if I could take the contract away to look it over and make sure everything was okay for me, the HR manager gave a very adamant 'No'.

Hopefully it's a proper school and not something dodgy.
    I think it’s utterly ridiculous not to allow a contract to be reviewed by the other party except for on site.

Ridiculous

And all your justification as to why it’s understandable for them to demand this are equally ridiculous. I used to send contracts and NDAs to clients and employees all the time.

It’s an agreement between 2 specific parties FFS, nobody else.

The school are arseholes, but it’s the OP’s only option then it’s a no brainer, consider him employed.

Ps you can sign a contract and then resign 30 seconds later if you choose and there’s sweet FA any employer could do about it.
    Last edited by Sage; 03-07-2021 at 11:29 PM.