Like Tree76Likes

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrib:
    Having lived in Edinburgh I preferred Glasgow - its friendlier, better pubs and cheaper!

However, I am glad I moved to Edinburgh, as its safer and easier to navigate for a new arrival. If you get comfortable in Scotland its an easy move to Glasgow, and there are equally nice cultural and trendy areas in the West End, but Glasgow is a high crime area and you are more likely to encounter hassle there than in Edinburgh.

If you are looking for a quieter life then somewhere midway is not a bad shout - I would look at Linlithgow as well as Falkirk.

Either way, regardless of where you live you will probably visit both frequently, as they compliment each other.

Let us know how you get on, enjoy the haggis and the lorne!
    Thanks for the comparisons between Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have a feeling I'll end up loving both cities 'cos, as you said, they complement each other.

I CAN'T wait to sink my teeth into some haggis - when it comes to food, I ain't squeamish!

Quote Originally Posted by Resilience4477:
    Hi guys,

Newbie here, though I’ve been lurking in the shadows for quite a while.

I’d like to seek advice from the Scottish contingent (or anyone who has ever lived in Scotland) of the GeoExpat community on a few things related to life in Scotland.

I’m planning to move to Scotland at the end of the year and will most likely live in either Edinburgh or Glasgow. I was wondering if anyone could give me the lowdown on what it’s like to live in these cities.

I’m a semi-retired ESL teacher who’s originally from HK but spent my formative years (high school and college) in North America. Obviously, language will not be a problem for me and I feel totally comfortable living among foreigners of all nationalities and ethnicities. As a matter of fact, I prefer to live among the “locals” and would rather NOT live anywhere near Chinatown or in districts where there’s a large Chinese population (no offense to the Chinese and other Hongkongers!).

I’m in my mid-50s so a vibrant nightlife is NOT a priority for me when it comes to choosing a place to live. I’m not into sports, but I love music and the arts. From what I’ve gathered on the Internet, Edinburgh’s more artistic and Glasgow is more athletic, is that correct?

Since I’m a single female and will be living alone so a low(er) crime rate is really important to me. I understand both Edinburgh and Glasgow are urban/cosmopolitan cities so a certain degree of crime is expected.

Good public transport will also be essential as I don’t relish the prospect of driving on the “other” side of the road (I learned to drive in North America but have never driven a car in HK).

Please understand that I’m NOT asking which city is BETTER, only that which city is more suitable for me to live in based on my background.

Any advice and insights will be much appreciated!
    Hi Newbie too. First post but thought I would share my thoughts.

I live in Glasgow and was born here.

Funny, my speil got lost

You'll be surprised what Glasgow has to offer. I would choose Glasgow.

Culturally it's diverse with lots of museums, cafés, cuisines, architecture and more on your door step.

What Glasgow and Edinburgh have in common is shit weather but Scotland is home.

Aesthetically Edinburgh will always win on wow factor during a first visit but Glasgow friendliness and bonhomie will supersede reservations.

Friends actually commute to Edinburgh from Glasgow. Glasgow is cheaper to rent in desirable locations - still not cheap. Like any city, they're rough parts.
    Last edited by scotland; 07-07-2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Original response didn't post
    FrancisX and shri like this.

Talking

Weigie who lived in Edinburgh here.
    Edinburgh's more pretty and more expensive. More of an international vibe. Artistic, as you mentioned.

Glasgow has better craic. It's easier to make friends. It is a bit more dangerous but generally confined to easily avoidable 'pockets' of danger- Sat night outside nightclubs etc. It's easy to get out of the way of a drunk tottering towards you. There's more football hooliganery.

Green space and hiking is good in both, although Glasgow wins for me. In 30 minutes you can be hiking in Balloch, stunning vistas.

One more thing- obviously the weather is pretty similar in both but the year I spent in Edinburgh was the coldest I've ever been. The wind is more biting, somehow.

All the best, whatever you choose

FrancisX likes this.

[QUOTE=Kowloon72;3811874]Used to work in the bookies with a lad who was in the CCS when they were active. Some of the stories were insane.

CCS vs ACS is the only real hooligan rivalry in Scotland I think. My dad was in the British Transport Police, and he always cites a Cup semi/final they played at Hampden in the 80s that turned Queen Street Station into a warzone.

Edit: I'm not having it that the Glaswegian accent is harder to understand, I think it's more that those who visit Edinburgh never meet anyone actually born in the city. The Edinburgh scheme accent is just as indecipherable.[/QUOTE]

Any excuse for this. Warning bad language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ein57OSrqoA

scotland and Kowloon72 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanBoogie:
    You could put it this way as a local comparison reference: Edinburgh = HK Island, Glasgow = Kowloon. One is more touristy and photogenic, the other is more gritty and authentic. Just depends what you're after.

Have a great time in Falkirk!
    Hmmm... I prefer (and am currently) living in the New Territories. Would that be Falkirk?
    ICanBoogie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    I'm from Glasgow. Born and raised. Went to Uni in Edinburgh. Prior to Covid visited both cities annually.

The answer is Edinburgh. 100%. It would be answer to almost any set of circumstances, but in your case it's an absolutely easy answer. You'll love it for the all the reasons outlined on the first page.

And the person suggesting Falkirk can't genuinely be serious.
    There's nothing more convincing than a recommendation coming from a member of the opposing camp. Thanks for the impartiality!

Quote Originally Posted by Resilience4477:
    Hmmm... I prefer (and am currently) living in the New Territories. Would that be Falkirk?
    New Territories would be more like the Highlands… Falkirk is more like Lamma without the seafood restaurants or hiking trails or expat hippies or dogs. Or maybe just a random artificial sandbar in the stretch of water between HK island and Kowloon that nobody can see or knows about because it’s so tiny that if you blink you’ll miss it...
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotland:
    Hi Newbie too. First post but thought I would share my thoughts.

I live in Glasgow and was born here.

Funny, my speil got lost

You'll be surprised what Glasgow has to offer. I would choose Glasgow.

Culturally it's diverse with lots of museums, cafés, cuisines, architecture and more on your door step.

What Glasgow and Edinburgh have in common is shit weather but Scotland is home.

Aesthetically Edinburgh will always win on wow factor during a first visit but Glasgow friendliness and bonhomie will supersede reservations.

Friends actually commute to Edinburgh from Glasgow. Glasgow is cheaper to rent in desirable locations - still not cheap. Like any city, they're rough parts.
    I don't mind shit weather - by that I think you meant "cold and wet", correct? To me the "hot and humid" weather in HK is far shittier. I sweat easily so I'm constantly drenched in my own sweat from June to October in HK. I miss the cold weather in Canada SO much that my friends back there think I'm insane that I'd rather bundle up than walk around in a t-shirt and shorts!

Glasgow is sounding more and more attractive now...

Quote Originally Posted by Caa:
    Weigie who lived in Edinburgh here.
    Edinburgh's more pretty and more expensive. More of an international vibe. Artistic, as you mentioned.

Glasgow has better craic. It's easier to make friends. It is a bit more dangerous but generally confined to easily avoidable 'pockets' of danger- Sat night outside nightclubs etc. It's easy to get out of the way of a drunk tottering towards you. There's more football hooliganery.

Green space and hiking is good in both, although Glasgow wins for me. In 30 minutes you can be hiking in Balloch, stunning vistas.

One more thing- obviously the weather is pretty similar in both but the year I spent in Edinburgh was the coldest I've ever been. The wind is more biting, somehow.

All the best, whatever you choose
    Ooh, I forgot to mention that I love hiking and I've heard that the Munros in Scotland are spectacular, and don't get me started on the castles!

I am one of those weirdos who thrive in cold weather. Back in the 80s, I spent four winters in Edmonton (while in college) when daytime temperatures hovered around minus 30 degrees Celsius and it didn't bother me one bit, so I think I am gonna be okay in Scotland. Thanks for the warning though.
    scotland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ICanBoogie:
    New Territories would be more like the Highlands… Falkirk is more like Lamma without the seafood restaurants or hiking trails or expat hippies or dogs. Or maybe just a random artificial sandbar in the stretch of water between HK island and Kowloon that nobody can see or knows about because it’s so tiny that if you blink you’ll miss it...
    I LOVE Lamma Island, but I can't live without seafood, hiking and dogs (not necessarily in that order).

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast