Like Tree76Likes

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Resilience4477:
    I don't mind shit weather - by that I think you meant "cold and wet", correct? To me the "hot and humid" weather in HK is far shittier. I sweat easily so I'm constantly drenched in my own sweat from June to October in HK. I miss the cold weather in Canada SO much that my friends back there think I'm insane that I'd rather bundle up than walk around in a t-shirt and shorts!

Glasgow is sounding more and more attractive now...
    I lived and worked in HK pre and post handover! I actually miss the heat- lol, a case of careful what you wish for!
    Glasgow has much to offer.
    There was a post about someone coming from Cramond and preferring Edinburgh. Cramond sounded like Lenzie or Milngavie that are equally lovely suburbs; outskirts of Glasgow with handy transport links. Much more family oriented and many locate there for the schools.

The city centre is lively and Westend has a more cosmopolitan vibe with Glasgow university located there. I missed Scotland when I was working in HK.
    A plus for Glasgow as another person said, get in the car and you're in Loch Lomond in 30 mins. A beautiful spot.

I would not say anything negative about Edinburgh as only ever visited and then took the train home to Glasgow. My sister in law worked for Edinburgh Uni, lived in Edinburgh for a few years and still prefers Glasgow.

You'll always have people who hate or love!
    Whereas for our situation, Glasgow is definitely home but we don't dislike Edinburgh. If you read the daily blah, both cities have their crime rates, pros and cons.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by scotland:
    I lived and worked in HK pre and post handover! I actually miss the heat- lol, a case of careful what you wish for!
    Glasgow has much to offer.
    There was a post about someone coming from Cramond and preferring Edinburgh. Cramond sounded like Lenzie or Milngavie that are equally lovely suburbs; outskirts of Glasgow with handy transport links. Much more family oriented and many locate there for the schools.

The city centre is lively and Westend has a more cosmopolitan vibe with Glasgow university located there. I missed Scotland when I was working in HK.
    A plus for Glasgow as another person said, get in the car and you're in Loch Lomond in 30 mins. A beautiful spot.

I would not say anything negative about Edinburgh as only ever visited and then took the train home to Glasgow. My sister in law worked for Edinburgh Uni, lived in Edinburgh for a few years and still prefers Glasgow.

You'll always have people who hate or love!
    Whereas for our situation, Glasgow is definitely home but we don't dislike Edinburgh. If you read the daily blah, both cities have their crime rates, pros and cons.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a blast.
    Sounds like a win-win for me! The slower pace of life in Edinburgh seems to suit me better, but I am a people person and can talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime till the cows come home so I'll probably feel more at home among the Glaswegians. Perhaps I should just flip a coin?
    scotland likes this.

Wouldn't say Edinburgh will be slower!!! Different

Quote Originally Posted by scotland:
    Wouldn't say Edinburgh will be slower!!! Different
    Got it!
    scotland likes this.

I grew up in Edinburgh and visited Glasgow many times, I would definitely pick Edinburgh. It is probably my favourite city in the world and I am looking to move back there in the next few years.

Glasgow used to be pretty grim back in the day but in recent years the gentrification has turned some of it into pretty nice places, the west end especially is quite nice. Bear in mind Glasgow is also far larger than Edinburgh which is a pretty small city.

One place I might throw out there is Stirling which is about halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow (about 45 mins to either). It is home to the Wallace monument and Stirling Castle. I lived there for 4 years.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

On the friendliness point - as an outsider, I think you won't really notice any difference in friendliness between Glasgow and Edinburgh - Scotland is a friendly country and you will get a warm welcome where-ever you choose.

In time, as you acclimatize you may start to notice differences, but relative to other places its very friendly regardless of which city you choose

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Resilience4477:
    Got it!
    https://www.theworldwasherefirst.com...-or-edinburgh/

This is quite good an article. More written for "visiting" but offers a balanced view. I'm sure you'll be doing your own research too.

Went to Uni in Glasgow, Glasgow has cheaper housing and if you want to a quiet life some nice but quite dull towns you can live in. Millingavie, Bearsden etc.

I'd personally live in Edinburgh. It rains less, better housing stock, nicer beaches near by. Not a huge amount in it though. So keep your options open.

Both have relatively high crime compared to Hong Kong and issues with poverty, drugs. Most people are very friendly and you'll love the amazing trips you can do from both cities.

Cost of living is actually a decent shout. I didn't really consider that. The nicer parts of Glasgow probably represent much better value than areas of similar quality in Edinburgh. It depends how much you treasure having a city on your doorstep.

In my opinion, areas like Millingavie, Bearsden, Newton Mearns are proper suburbs and aren't well connected to the city without a car - compared to say the Meadows, Morningside, Bruntsfield in Edinburgh which are actually in and part of the city. Glasgow's equivalent to those areas would be the nicer parts of the West End,

And the football hooliganism thing is being massively overplayed. You could live your life in either city and be almost oblivious to the existence of football. Some people are just absolutely terrified of football fans (understandable tbf) as they didn't grow up in that sort of environment.

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Any excuse for this. Warning bad language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ein57OSrqoA
    Hah. Knew it would be limmy before I opened it. The bit at the end where he tells him to sit down is perfect.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast