15 7.28%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

103 50.00%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.71%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

68 33.01%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    only if you wanted it to be. It could be a purely civil arrangement up until 1753
    So what happened in 1753?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    So what happened in 1753?
    1753 Marriage Act.

... moved.

Interesting that 33 (1/5th) Geo members who voted, voted no. A surprising amount considering one would have expected a more modern worldly open mindedness amongst the well travelled expat community.

I remember my 3 year old kid coming home and saying " My friend has two mums."
    My reply "Good for her. Some people have two mums, some have two dad, there are lots of different families."

May be one of the dad's is the biological dads ?

In an ideal world, a child would have a mother and father, but that isn't the case.

Many people developed well without a father. Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Obama, Michael Phelps.

Many people lots parents etc through war , death, etc and they still have the human spirit to thrive.

Regarding the bullying the children of same sexed couples face at schools, then how about dealing with the bullies ? I was bullied at school in the UK for being chinese. So should I have put a bag over my head or not go to school?

It is all about being tolerant of our differences.

And by the way, lots of kids have married parents of one mum and one dad, but the parents are absent most of the time from their lives.

It takes a village to raise a child. Not just mum and dad.

TaD_LaLa and jimbo_jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dard:
    A child needs a father and a mother in order to develop properly ( emotionally, psychologically, physically etc ). Allowing two dads to adopt a child is child abuse. I am not even considering the bullying the children of same sex couple will face when in school and amongst their peers. You cannot play around with the needs of children.

And I supposed based on that there should be a check box for the kids to tick a) legitimate. b) bastard?

If anything, we should be supportive of these kids and be tolerant. If someone wants to be married as a gay couple, it doesn't affect you. You are not sleeping in their bed.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Interesting that 33 (1/5th) Geo members who voted, voted no. A surprising amount considering one would have expected a more modern worldly open mindedness amongst the well travelled expat community.
    I think a few locals lurk here too.
    Skyhook, PaddyMac and jimbo_jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:
    For various official purposes marriage is often different than partnership. Think pensions, insurance, inheritance, vsiting rights, etc etc. It varies by country, but gay couples often bump into barriers that straight married couples don't. I can understand, even if I'm happily divorced myself.
    yes agreed but that was really my point, scrap the ridiculous marriage label and give those that want some kind of commitment the ability to do so with rights equal to those of married people now. One level playing field regardless of the pairing (ok human/animal/fish//insect out of scope