Like Tree94Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

Thanks for the report above. I have just done my port request for my wife and me.

As a result we have something like 9GB of spare birdie data if someone wants it. Has to be transferred by Wednesday night.

PM if interested.

Yes, I have observed some weakness when in dense area, MTR/Bus. But not to extent where calls will drop.

I recently bought SoSim and put it inside my mifi to test it as a home internet replacement. I live in Sheung Wan and find it adequate for simple internet surfing, emails, and occasional youtube videos. But it failed on day 1 when using Facetime at around 9pm as the connection froze. I did not test the speed at that time. Luckily I had kept my HKBN connection (via Smartone) so immediately switched it on and Facetime worked flawlessly with it.

My HKBN connection is already contract-free, but the fee is $248/mo, which is quite high vs my old 2-yrs contract price of $168/mo. Since I am planning to leave HK in a few months’ time and I Facetime with my bf (who lives overseas) every night, I will keep my HKBN connection until I leave HK due to the ability to terminate it anytime, despite the much higher fee/mo.

But YMMV as Sheung Wan is considered a dense area.

Wellcome-CMHK offers HKD 60 for 2 SIM cards and 80GB of data (21 Mbps including during infinity period [11pm-7am]). Downside is I think renewal might be 88 HKD.

When you pay the $33 for all that data, can you use calls on WhatsApp/Signal/MS Teams/Zoom etc? Or is it only covered by their VoLTE package which you have to pay extra for?

Quote Originally Posted by el_tornado:
    When you pay the $33 for all that data, can you use calls on WhatsApp/Signal/MS Teams/Zoom etc? Or is it only covered by their VoLTE package which you have to pay extra for?
    All data included. In theory they shouldn't be able to figure in some of those, since it should be E2EE. But either way, it's a bulk data package, no distinctions. The only voice that it measures towards your voice minutes are normal phone number calls.

That’s right! Do it earlier - say 7 5-6 days before billing cycle

Ported over from birdie today without any issues.

Now debating whether to splurge and get volte and VM add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

VoLTE gives better quality voice calls? Are there any other advantages? I guess if you make a lot of voice calls, it's only $65/year so can add it on. But probably most people using voice less and less, so if VoLTE is standard then great, but if they have to pay for it then forget it.
    pin likes this.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast