Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Ex Colleague has just left HK for South Korea. She is Hong Kong born. She was always unhappy with the governance of HK and the increasing control of Bejing. She sold her flat back in the middle of the 2019 protests to be ready to leave.

Yesterday she contacted me because her cousin, his wife and 2 small kids are moving to my town in the UK and wanted advice on what areas to live for good schooling.

Her Mum and Dad (in their 60''s I assume) are also intending to move near by. They do not speak a word of English!

Original Post Deleted
    You don't want to stay safe with a mask compliant society but you want to travel elsewhere so you can travel elsewhere in non-mask compliant societies?? The 99.9% compliance of mask wearing suggests to me it really is a non issue.

Anyway yes your criticism of HKSAR government's non-policy of the future plans for travel seems very valid. HK should open up with the rest of the world but can't and could open up with China but won't.

Original Post Deleted
    Again your criticism of of HK Gov's non-policy of border opening is valid but probably not a very very strong reason for expats leaving but a reason for people not to come. This lack of governance vision coupled with the anti-foreigner sentiments and lack of quality of life improvements, GDP growth in the doldrums for years etc...

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think it is possible to find recent peer reviewed evidence to support this. Falsehoods...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    We're one of the blind men describing an elephant which might be ready to take a huge shit on us ...
    Or the proverbial frog in the pot of soon to be boiling water

looks like HK will be overrun with more mainlanders to compensate the loss of people

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Or the proverbial frog in the pot of soon to be boiling water
    Maybe. But I think that suggests we don't know we're "being cooked" - I think most of us do. So I this instance, I like Shri's more - we know something big is here and it could be very bad news and when the real impact comes, it might come very sudden, before we have a chance to react.

Or maybe I'm just full of shit.
    Sage and MatthieuTofu like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Link?

'In areas with community transmission of COVID-19, wearing a medical or non-medical face mask is recommended in confined public spaces and can be considered in crowded outdoor settings'

From ECDC - Using face masks in the community: first update Effectiveness in reducing transmission of COVID-19 15 February 2021
    Last edited by East_coast; 13-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.

The pandemic is not a primary reason for me to want to leave, although the way the government has used it as an excuse to trample on basic rights is a clear red flag. Feeling like I'm stuck in Hong Kong because I'm not willing to take the time, expense and risk of the entry and quarantine system has definitely made me want to go anywhere and there is almost certainly bleed-though to wanting to leave for good.

To put it another way, if I'd been able to travel for leisure and/or to see my family this year, I probably wouldn't feel quite so strongly about HK no longer being a place I can happily live long-term.

Original Post Deleted
    Re-opening the border to the mainland requires a 0-case policy. This means closing the borders even further to the rest of the world (i.e. matching China's border restrictions).

That's not a choice that many will want in Hong Kong.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 107 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast