Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hkaneshiro
  • 1 Post By mtmt

Commuting from Mong Kok to HK Island West

Closed Thread

Commuting from Mong Kok to HK Island West

Anyone here takes the MTR or the western harbour crossing to commute to HK island?

How unpleasant is the commute during office rush hours (traffic jam, MTR crowd level and waiting time)?

Thank you!

scotland likes this.

There used to be a minibus, what it'll be like during rush hour, I don't know.

I think the terminii were Sutherland St, Sai Ying Pun, through KT and ended up in Portland Street, Mong Kok.

From Mong Kok to HKU Station

I would think the bus is much quicker and more efficient.

almost any 9series eg 904 905 would get you tob where u wanted to go (and of course a few red minibus), would imagine bus is crowded as I have taken those during evening rush hour and it's packed like sardines

mtr would be super full from Mk to central but after that is OK (ie central to hku virtually empty)

I would think most comfortable with the is red minibus from the terminal as they can only seat 16 people and there is an orderly queue at the terminal.

shri, scotland and jabalong like this.

MK peak hour is pretty miserable. A few years back you'd be waiting 2-3 trains before you could get onto an extremely packed train. This was before the green line extended to Whampoa, which I imagine would place even more stress on the red line (but I think they've increased frequencies, and who knows what COVID has done to commutes). It gets to a more comfortable level at Admiralty when some people get off. Haven't been recently.

@mtmt I think what you are looking for is this

https://www.16seats.net/eng/rmb/r_kh04.html

I used to take that from Bute st back to Western side, frequency is low and queue is bad. But if you catch it right, it saves tons of time. There is a number on the page to book. Maybe if you are a daily user you might get a constant slot

Original Post Deleted
    Here's the Mongkok-Aberdeen red minibus:

https://www.16seats.net/eng/rmb/r_kh70.html

You catch it in front of the Mannings & Welcome at Golden Era Plaza opposite MacPherson Playground:

https://goo.gl/maps/EawPVmqhSDiUgqo99

I don't know what it's like in the morning, but at other times of days it's very fast to cross the harbour.

Mongkok is the starting point, so you're guaranteed to get on, just depends how long the queue is.

Coming back is a different story, as you'd be trying to catch it mid-route near HKU, but there you can also hop on the 970X or opt for the MTR.

Thank you all for the helpful replies, really appreciate it!