Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by binance345:
    According to the data in the last one or two weeks, this is not true
    What data? From where?

Naturally HK is utterly flawed in this regard, that was proven long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    What data? From where?

Naturally HK is utterly flawed in this regard, that was proven long ago.
    You said that 99.7% of the death toll in Singapore were unvaccinated. This is what you said, not me. I think you should provide the relevant source, not me. Singapore is half of my home. I follow Singapore news every day. As far as I know, about 30-40% of the deaths in Singapore in the last two weeks have been vaccinated. Some days this number would be even higher.

For example, there are 15 deaths in Singapore today, and 5 of them are fully vaccinated, so it is 33.3% instead of 0.3% as you claimed.

You said that 99.7% of the death toll in Singapore were unvaccinated. This is what you said, not me. I think you should provide the relevant source, not me. Singapore is half of my home. I follow Singapore news every day. As far as I know, about 30-40% of the deaths in Singapore in the last two weeks have been vaccinated. Some days this number would be even higher.

For example, there are 15 deaths in Singapore today, and 5 of them are fully vaccinated, so it is 33.3% instead of 0.3% as you claimed.
    What point are you trying to prove exactly? Sure… people will die who were vaccinated… but this comparison you are making is pointless. You should look at how many people would die if nobody was vaccinated… which is hard to do as you have no real benchmark for Singapore where Covid never raged prior to vaccination being rolled out

Singapore has identified 135.000 Covid cases and 192 deaths… that is around 0.15% of the people died that had covid.

In contrast Portugal (taken as an example because there vaccination started really late) had over 1.000.000 Covid cases of which nearly 2% (1.8% or 18.000 people) died. Now everyone over 65 is completely vaccinated, we still had 9 deaths today … so 100% of vaccinated died in your logic.

i would argue that If we would have had the vaccine from day 1 in Portugal and the same vaccination rate as Singapore before opening up there would not have been 1.000.000 covid cases and even if there were 1.000.000 covid cases then probably, based on Singapore’s numbers, only 0.15% would have died which is equal to 1.500 people instead of 18.000 people.

So yeah …. Vaccines help … big time
    njstone9 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    What point are you trying to prove exactly? Sure… people will die who were vaccinated… but this comparison you are making is pointless. You should look at how many people would die if nobody was vaccinated… which is hard to do as you have no real benchmark for Singapore where Covid never raged prior to vaccination being rolled out

Singapore has identified 135.000 Covid cases and 192 deaths… that is around 0.15% of the people died that had covid.

In contrast Portugal (taken as an example because there vaccination started really late) had over 1.000.000 Covid cases of which nearly 2% (1.8% or 18.000 people) died. Now everyone over 65 is completely vaccinated, we still had 9 deaths today … so 100% of vaccinated died in your logic.

i would argue that If we would have had the vaccine from day 1 in Portugal and the same vaccination rate as Singapore before opening up there would not have been 1.000.000 covid cases and even if there were 1.000.000 covid cases then probably, based on Singapore’s numbers, only 0.15% would have died which is equal to 1.500 people instead of 18.000 people.

So yeah …. Vaccines help … big time
    I just saw a wrong data and pointed it out. Don't preconceive my position. Fabricating a wrong data in order to prove that you are right cannot strengthen your persuasiveness
    Edwardstorm likes this.

Next milestone coming up: I suggest expanding the quarantine to 30 days …

Coronavirus: Hong Kong domestic helper tests positive 5 days after completing quarantine
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3152334/coronavirus-hong-kong-domestic-helper-tests

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Next milestone coming up: I suggest expanding the quarantine to 30 days …

Coronavirus: Hong Kong domestic helper tests positive 5 days after completing quarantine
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3152334/coronavirus-hong-kong-domestic-helper-tests
    despite how many tests along the way?

the simple answer is until HK aligns with what the Mainland wants then HK has adopted the wrong policy.

it would save everyone a lot of stress if they just went North and said tell us exactly what it is you need.

So, what's the timeline for a patriotic reverse engineered mRNA vaccine to complete development and get rolled out to 1.4bn people? With some momentum across the rest of Asia setting out paths to opening up surely there will be a bit more pressure in the coming months to stop spouting the same old lines... maybe.

This is the base rate fallacy, the percentage of vaccinated people who get sick or die increases as the number of vaccinated people increases. The number of unvaccinated people who get sick or die will decrease. The shifting proportions between vaccinated and unvaccinated cannot be looked at as raw data.

Being vaccinated is the way to go to reduce your chance of serious illness or death.
    Mcdavid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    This is the base rate fallacy, the percentage of vaccinated people who get sick or die increases as the number of vaccinated people increases. The number of unvaccinated people who get sick or die will decrease. The shifting proportions between vaccinated and unvaccinated cannot be looked at as raw data.

Being vaccinated is the way to go to reduce your chance of serious illness or death.
    Exactly, someone who understands the maths.

My stats were based on relative probabilities when comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated proportions of the population.

And exactly why I asked @binance345 for a data source clarification.

The irony of the poorly educated about risk, is that the longer the unvaxxed hold out the more data they will be able to conjure up for themselves which seemingly justifies their choice.

All the more reason to let Covid get em:

Bravo Singapore.

Fuck you HK.

P.s. Leaving HK will not change its status as a complete fuck-up.
    Last edited by Sage; 15-10-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:

Fuck you HK.
    You know where the airport is.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast