Like Tree31Likes

Squid Games - What to watch next?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Squid Games" . That's what friends have been yapping about lately but I'm yet to be infected by the Squid Games fever. Instead, I was hooked on Hospital Playlist (2020/21) - crying and rooting for "friends" that I've been separated from since a long time.

My take on this drama is that, it's unique on its portrayal of 40+ (age) men and women's ( doctors, in this case) interesting love-life. Usually, I've seen Korean dramas stress more on the theme of "young love" -- that to be young is everything but this one proves otherwise. Give it a go!

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    "Squid Games" . That's what friends have been yapping about lately but I'm yet to be infected by the Squid Games fever. Instead, I was hooked on Hospital Playlist (2020/21) - crying and rooting for "friends" that I've been separated from since a long time.

My take on this drama is that, it's unique on its portrayal of 40+ (age) men and women's ( doctors, in this case) interesting love-life. Usually, I've seen Korean dramas stress more on the theme of "young love" -- that to be young is everything but this one proves otherwise. Give it a go!
    Will check out Hospital Playlist! Wikipedia says:
    It is the second installment of the Wise Life series, following Prison Playbook (2017–18)
    Is it better to watch Prison Playbook first? Are the two connected in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Will check out Hospital Playlist!

Is it better to watch Prison Playbook first? Are the two connected in any way?

The two aren't related or connected in any way. So, whether you watch it first (before HP) or later, doesn't matter. What I know is Prison Playbook also garnered rave reviews but Hospital Playlist definitely beats the other.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    but Hospital Playlist definitely beats the other.
    Why?

Ok! I will check it out.
    hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Why?

Ok! I will check it out.
    An interesting trivia - There's an Indian dude (Tripathi Anupam) who gets a few seconds in front of the camera in Hospital Playlist as an injured migrant worker's friend. He was also cast in Squid Games as a Pakistani migrant ( he could've retained his Indian identity though) who takes part in the vicious games for money. It's said that his Instagram followers shot up from a few thousands to millions after his appearance in the Squid Games! Lol.

I think if he works hard, he could get major stardom in Korea as well as overseas. The only non Korean stars I know of are Lisa ( origin- Thai, member of Blackpink) and Kris Wu ( Origin -- China, ex member of Exo).
    Editor, shri, ndt and 4 others like this.

He was also cast in Squid Games as a Pakistani migrant ( he could've retained his Indian identity though) who takes part in the vicious games for money.
    No doubt the guy held his own in the show for acting/language and finally much deserved overnight popularity, very interesting journey from wanting to enter NSD in India to suddently shifting to Korean Uni for acting course, mastering korean in 2 yrs and subsequent slow journey to eventual success, kudos for perseverence..
    shri and hannah01 like this.

I've recommended Hospital Playlist on the other Netflix thread, absolutely love it.

Ive seen funny youtube videos of Prison life but I cant find the whole series on netflix or on Dramacool, anyone know where to watch it with English subtitles

Currently watching Hometown Cha Cha Cha & Strong Girl Bong-Soon on Netflix

hannah01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I cant find the whole series on netflix or on Dramacool, anyone know where to watch it with English subtitles
    You can watch it here-

fdrama.net

I had a doubt over this site but its "reviews" say it's "legit" . Tens of ads pop up but you could just rotate the screen sideways in a zoomed-in frame. Ads do not interfere that way.

It's got almost all newest dramas for free (with English subtitles).
    chuckster007 likes this.

New series of Animal Kingdom out too,

blandy62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    New series of Animal Kingdom out too,
    I assume that is a recommendation? I was thinking of watching the first season but there is only so much time...