Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

With the cities urban cleanliness reliant on the backs of an army of septuagenarians it is hard to see any plan for opening up without a change in attitude towards the working old.

Name:  mqdefault.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  21.5 KB

Coolboy and hullexile like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Very interesting, thank you. We all thought 3 weeks quarantine was overkill but didn’t expect the data to be so clear cut!

The 3 weeks quarantine policy then seems exclusively driven by the same motivations behind the ban on groups of more than 4 people on the street. Nothing to do with covid.
    statman and hongkong7 like this.

Were the two positives in day 19 proven to be transmitted in quarantine? If not, then it completely justifies the govts position. Zero covid means as close to zero risk as possible.

The only position that doesnt make sense is 14/21 day quarantine. It doesnt matter where you catch it, Covid is covid. If you can develop the virus after 19 days as they claim, then 14 days is about to disappear.

With the new criteria regarding positive cases, absolutely everything will be done to discourage travel. Agree or disagree, it is what it is. Stop looking at science or reasoning, zero covid means 'zero' risk. Accept it or move on.

I certainly wouldnt want to be in HK if there is an outbreak, who knows how the govt will react.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish:
    Were the two positives in day 19 proven to be transmitted in quarantine? If not, then it completely justifies the govts position. Zero covid means as close to zero risk as possible.

The only position that doesnt make sense is 14/21 day quarantine. It doesnt matter where you catch it, Covid is covid. If you can develop the virus after 19 days as they claim, then 14 days is about to disappear.

With the new criteria regarding positive cases, absolutely everything will be done to discourage travel. Agree or disagree, it is what it is. Stop looking at science or reasoning, zero covid means 'zero' risk. Accept it or move on.

I certainly wouldnt want to be in HK if there is an outbreak, who knows how the govt will react.
    Sorry but that's bullshit. There's no such thing as zero risk, only measures of vanishingly small risk.

So yes, There's always ways to eliminate the risk (specifically from covid) even further, scrap all exemptions, ban all flights, lockdown all of society.

So what does this mean?.... yup they are morons and oppressive dictators only, nothing more, no justification at all in the amount of risk they claim they're attempting to eliminate, it's all simply lies.
    statman and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Sorry but that's bullshit. There's no such thing as zero risk, only measures of vanishingly small risk.

So yes, There's always ways to eliminate the risk (specifically from covid) even further, scrap all exemptions, ban all flights, lockdown all of society.

So what does this mean?.... yup they are morons and oppressive dictators only, nothing more, no justification at all in the amount of risk they claim they're attempting to eliminate, it's all simply lies.
    But it is the situation. No amount of science will change it. It is the govts position whether we like it or not, no matter how ridiculous.

Think its going to get better before it gets worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:

As you have such distain for the government - why are you still there? ( Genuine question - not a dig. I was lucky that we decided to leave in July 2020 anyway but even if that wasn't our plan I am sure we would have changed it by now)

Honestly I keep saying it but the only way to deal with it is to deal with it. Just like the continuing closure of BBQ pits.

And in an unscientific study on my walk this morning from Wu Kai Sha to Sha Tin I’d say 98 percent of prom walkers were wearing masks. Far too many cyclists doing the same as well.

Blowfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish:

One was a hotel transmission; one was a re-positive from what I have read. (Neither clearly defined as such but if you track the cases it's pretty clear... they don't want to admit they got it wrong).

My understanding is that this is now entirely about convincing China to open the border, they have given up any pretense of science, risk management, proportionate responses or anything like that.
    Sage and kittykaitak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    As you have such distain for the government - why are you still there? ( Genuine question - not a dig. I was lucky that we decided to leave in July 2020 anyway but even if that wasn't our plan I am sure we would have changed it by now)
    Without being flippant, the simplest answer is because we haven’t left yet.

I never intended to retire here and still don’t, (though I do have an older relative here who is doing that - mostly UK, but wintering in HK.)

My better half and I do now however have slightly more concrete plans to leave within a year.

Ultimately a decision to leave is never as black and white as the ‘if you don’t like it go home’ brigade would claim (but then, those sorts are seldom the sharpest tools in the box).

If the government were everything, we would have left already, thankfully their corruption is not the full story.

AsianXpat0 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast