Like Tree50Likes

JPM to pay upto HK$ 39K for Quarantine Expenses...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

the bigger cost is actually the 14 or 21 days away from the office.. whether that job or the boss allows the staff to stay outside of office for work.. for guys that can WFH for that 14 days, its definitely good.. but for those that doesn't, the 38 or 40k are really not well compensating for the additional leave one needs to take.

Well most roles in the banks still have 2 weeks mandatory leave so it should be ok...

What I don't get is why they need to keep having staff physically in Hong Kong to do business. So much work happens remotely anyway across all of Asia. Why not just let employees be somewhere more free in the first place...

Anyway, not enough to ensure I'd get the room I'd want for the dates I need, but still of course reasonable. And more reasonable than my own employer, who insists all work must be conducted physically in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Which hotel can you get for 39k though...for three weeks?
    Most of them. Only the really fancy hotels like Kerry and Landmark are more than this. We paid 8.5k for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    What I don't get is why they need to keep having staff physically in Hong Kong to do business. So much work happens remotely anyway across all of Asia. Why not just let employees be somewhere more free in the first place...
    Corporation tax - permanent establishment rules.

On tangent, this reminds me of post GFC, QE saved finance industry and its professionals branded as entitled kids of Govt bailout and subsequent backlash around the world, Geo was also mini battleground between Finance vs rest of industries with long threads after threads.. Another crisis, similar outcome but now nobody raise eyebrow over entitled industry/kids..

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    Well most roles in the banks still have 2 weeks mandatory leave so it should be ok...
    in a QT hotel. No thanks. Weekdays were only bearable by working 12 plus hours per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Anyway, not enough to ensure I'd get the room I'd want for the dates I need, but still of course reasonable. And more reasonable than my own employer, who insists all work must be conducted physically in HK.
    I keep offering to relocate to Philippines but my employer is having none of it.

Now that Morgan Stanley have joined the party I’m hopeful of a domino effect. Some very good points on salary made in these discussions. I would have no problems with grading the $ benefit to base salary or even this tax years total remuneration.

Those of us blessed to be in the $ band quoted still have a mental and physical compensation to be considered and offset as well as a contribution to the all in costs of flights, QT etc.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Which hotel can you get for 39k though...for three weeks?
    Like, all of them safe for Upper House? I've been browsing a bit and it is amazing where prices are right now - 1.5K/night for a suite in the Hyatt Regency. Or do they charge way more for quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Like, all of them safe for Upper House? I've been browsing a bit and it is amazing where prices are right now - 1.5K/night for a suite in the Hyatt Regency. Or do they charge way more for quarantine?
    Ha ha what do you think? Not only are some of them charging more than their previous rack rates many (not just a few) are demanding full payment up front and far too many have got almost impossible refund policies with the Government saying not their issue if you need to cancel or amend. And not just that, try finding a QT alternative at very short notice and it is almost impossible. A disgusting state of affairs all round