Like Tree186Likes

Nov 2021 - New 'Omicron' Mutants are Coming..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    bad news South Africa vaccination rate is only 41.25% population

https://sacoronavirus.co.za/latest-vaccine-statistics/
    This variant has 32 mutations on the spike protein, which is used in most vaccines to prime the immune system to fight against covid. These mutations make it harder for the immune cells to attack the pathogen, and some of them are mutations that help it avoid an immune response.

The issue now is not the level of vaccination rates, but the need to develop new versions of vaccines that can respond as soon as possible

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The vaccine inequality has the impact that everyone predicted. What is the vaccine coverage in Africa, 4%? Then oh fuck a new variant what a shock.
    Vaccination has no effect on virus transmission. Even vaxxed you can get it - and will transfer it. The vaxx advantage is that in most cases in prevents serious problems.

If you look at the death statistics you see that death rate really goes up for the 70+ - in many African countries the average age is 25. I see why they are more easy going about it.

Anyway, what has an effect virus transmission are travel restrictions and social distance.

Being locked in sux, but means also we are quite well protected here, so far.

If this variant turns out to be significant, it will be given the greek alphabetical name "Nu".

But actually according to the "experts" at the Australian government, this variant is nothing interesting, not like delta that started India at all, and is of no cause for concern. They said UK are overeacting and basically a bunch of pussies for restricting flights from Africa, getting their knickers in a knot for nothing, and Australia will not be doing anything like this.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...9561034965d59c

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Vaccination has no effect on virus transmission. Even vaxxed you can get it - and will transfer it. The vaxx advantage is that in most cases in prevents serious problems.

If you look at the death statistics you see that death rate really goes up for the 70+ - in many African countries the average age is 25. I see why they are more easy going about it.

Anyway, what has an effect virus transmission are travel restrictions and social distance.

Sure its safe. Same as cutting off your toes to avoid sand flies (chinese saying).

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If this variant turns out to be significant, it will be given the greek alphabetical name "Nu".

But actually according to the "experts" at the Australian government, this variant is nothing interesting, not like delta that started India at all, and is of no cause for concern. They said UK are overeacting and basically a bunch of pussies for restricting flights from Africa, getting their knickers in a knot for nothing, and Australia will not be doing anything like this.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...9561034965d59c
    I would have thought it was way too early yo make calls like that (either way).

Original Post Deleted
    Just paraphrasing what virologist said, if we still believe in the professionalism of scientists

Vaccination does indeed appear to help in decreasing transmission. (Article preview doesn't show, so just click the link to get to the study.)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2106757
    Gatts and Cornmeal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Vaccination does indeed appear to help in decreasing transmission.
    Don't get me wrong, vaccination is essential to keep the hospitals empty. But high vaccination rate does not not exclude high infection rate, look at Ireland. Vaccination rate >80% , 7 day moving average rate ~650/100k

That's very high. I don't follow Hong Kong anymore, but I believe our 7 day rate is well, well below 1, if not below 0.1

And sure we should take serious precautions about new strains.
    East_coast likes this.

Yes, but you didn't write high infection rate; you wrote high transmission between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. If you want to move the goal posts, have at it.

When I look at Lancet articles it says vaccines do reduce transmission, and the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ed-people.html
    Gatts, Cornmeal and Sage like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast