Like Tree24Likes

Barbados - moves from from one colonial ruler to another.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well Barbados is a sovereign country now. They have the right to do as they please in their own affairs. If Britain doesn't like it...not much they could do about it. I am not saying Barbados is necessarily smart in taking Beijing's cash. But UK is not in a position to complain about another country's business.

The problem I have is that your post imply Barbados isn't competent enough to decide for themselves what is in their own interest. That smacks of a colonial mentality, don't you think?
    I am not aware that aware that 'Britain' doesn't like it and my original post made no comment or implied anything. Whatever nationality a person is they have the freedom to give a view/comment on whether we think it is a good idea or not and as I said before I don't think Britain's colonial past should affect that freedom to give an opinion. (Not that anyone as - or maybe the write of the articles above implied one) .

[QUOTE=Pauljoecoe;3836546]I would never suggest that what the British did in the 17th/18th century was acceptable but the current British population/government are not responsible for that. Incidentally Britain was also key in banning slavery.

Slavery was replaced by indentured labour. Same as slavery.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_indenture_system

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I am not aware that aware that 'Britain' doesn't like it and my original post made no comment or implied anything. Whatever nationality a person is they have the freedom to give a view/comment on whether we think it is a good idea or not and as I said before I don't think Britain's colonial past should affect that freedom to give an opinion. (Not that anyone as - or maybe the write of the articles above implied one) .
    I respectfully disagree, British colonial history has a direct bearing on the issue. Many former British colonies, especially those in the developing world, do not appreciate having their former colonial master, whether from the actual government or their citizens, teling them what they should do. Their history make them rather sensitive to criticism from Britain or Brits.

Besides, the underlying logic is, you assumed Barbados is not capable of seeing what Beijng is doing. That may not be the case. Barbados may be a tiny island country, but their leaders aren't necessarily stupid.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 01-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Irrelevant. Barbardos has the right to remove the Queen. That is their sovereign right. Who Canada and Australia choose to keep as their nominal head of state has no bearing or relations on Barbados' decision.
    Actually it is entirely relevant and you just proved my point. Barbados was able to amend its constitution to create a presidency without involving the UK Parliament, which proves my point about Barbados having been independent before and after the change. Nobody is saying that Australia or Canada had a right to tell Barbados what to do, so the only irrelevance is your rebuttal of a straw man erected by yourself.
    shri and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Actually it is entirely relevant and you just proved my point. Barbados was able to amend its constitution to create a presidency without involving the UK Parliament, which proves my point about Barbados having been independent before and after the change. Nobody is saying that Australia or Canada had a right to tell Barbados what to do, so the only irrelevance is your rebuttal of a straw man erected by yourself.
    If it was irrelevant you would not respond, by the fact you responded demonstrate the validity of my post. P.S-Nobody said Australia and Canada can tell what Barbados what to do. Not sure what you are on about. Nor did anybody said Barbados wasn't an independent country before this. So before you accused me of setting up a strawman argument, have a look in the mirror first.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    It would have been good if they had done it because it was the right thing to do not because China is doing it. Both China and the EU (and of course the USA) are doing it for political reasons and we should not kid ourselves otherwise.

If countries can benefit from the superpowers playing playground, sorry strategic, games then all to the good. It certainly has done the Philippines no harm in terms of vaccine supply, 5 million AZ donated over the weekend from the UK. I think it is something like 70 million doses donated so far.

Railways, subways, bridges, roads, airports, and help with a public park in Clark from the UK

I respectfully disagree, British colonial history has a direct bearing on the issue. Many former British colonies, especially those in the developing world, do not appreciate having their former colonial master, whether from the actual government or their citizens, teling them what they should do. Their history make them rather sensitive to criticism from Britain or Brits.

Besides, the underlying logic is, you assumed Barbados is not capable of seeing what Beijng is doing. That may not be the case. Barbados may be a tiny island country, but their leaders aren't necessarily stupid.
    As said before - not aware that 'Britain' has told anyone what to do or commented on it. It is just a opinion pieces/news.

I am sure most leaders across the world are not 'stupid' (there are a few obvious exceptions) but plenty make poor decisions.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    As said before - not aware that 'Britain' has told anyone what to do or commented on it. It is just a opinion pieces/news.

I am sure most leaders across the world are not 'stupid' (there are a few obvious exceptions) but plenty make poor decisions.
    Britain...or its citizens or media.