Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Hard to see this as 'dumping' as state subsides and government politics are not the prime drivers. AZ has been used widely and manufactured in many counties rather than what appears a targeted political gift. It is even manufactured in China and possibly due to be made in Thailand if demand holds up. It may not.

Attachment 85510

Manufacturing locations
    Attachment 85511
    I saw a chart somewhere with the number of vaccines which from memory presented a different picture. For example the Philippines has used Sinopharm, 1000 out of 180,000,000 vaccines received. But on this chart that would count.

Of those countries using AZ how many had them donated? I am not knocking AZ, I think it is an effective vaccine.

If they make it in China why did Hong Kong cancel their order?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Have you been to China?

It is the size of Europe and has much more geographic diversity - one could very happily send a lifetime travelling it
    Middle class Chinese want to go to Paris, to Rome, to London, to New York, to Phuket.

And yes, I lived in China for years before.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I saw a chart somewhere with the number of vaccines which from memory presented a different picture. For example the Philippines has used Sinopharm, 1000 out of 180,000,000 vaccines received. But on this chart that would count.

Of those countries using AZ how many had them donated? I am not knocking AZ, I think it is an effective vaccine.

If they make it in China why did Hong Kong cancel their order?
    This one?

https://vdata.nikkei.com/en/newsgrap...ByManufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Have you been to China?

It is the size of Europe and has much more geographic diversity - one could very happily send a lifetime travelling it
    By 'one' do you mean brainwashed Chinese who believe they love the motherland more than life itself?

I've travelled very extensively in China, but it doesn't compare so well with Tibet or Mongolia etc. The best parts are those furthest form govt influence unsurprisingly.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    UK just donated 5 million AZ to the Philippines. Dumped or donated? Either way gratefully received. AZ is effective and the clotting fear is exaggerated.
    I loved my AZ jabs - as did everyone else I know and all the 1000' s I supervised through the centre back in Jan - May.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    Middle class Chinese want to go to Paris, to Rome, to London, to New York, to Phuket.

And they love Bicester outlet village!

I live in a zero-covid world from TheEconomist https://www.economist.com/1843/2021/...ro-covid-world

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    87% of Chinese don't have passports, so these jet-setters are definitely not the "middle" classes

But why are you so determined to downplay the value of international interaction and learning about other cultures first hand?

If 87% of Chinese don't have passports, that still means several hundred million do. And for further, surely we should be hoping that more and more do want to leave their immediate surroundings and meet their neighbours. You don't have to be a Jetsetter to want to visit Korea or Vietnam.

Covid is not the plague or ebola. It's something that, with vaccination and improved drug treatments, does not need to be particularly more deadly than pneumonia. Why is it so important to have a zero death from covid society, but not say, zero deaths from cancer?

Cheeky Kiwi and Gatts like this.

I think it's funny how everyone uses leisure travel as the measuring stick to justify zero covid--saving lives vs a trip to Paris. Everyone I know who hates the policy has been ripped away from their families for years. The diaspora is real, students are still studying abroad and even more have moved away completely. My friend lives alone and mourns that her kids haven't come to visit her in two years and have no prospect of coming again. On the business side I can't tell you the number of my friends whose businesses are on life support from the policy. Omicron is providing a little respite as the western autocrats are overjoyed to ruin people's lives again for another holiday season and giving a little more undeserved patience towards the zero covid model, but everyone I know running a business here (including ourselves) are trying to find how to keep their business from being smothered or planning their business closure to relocate somewhere that isn't being crazy about covid (unfortunately there are suddenly very few choices)

Zero covid's casualties are families, businesses, mental health and economies, and the fatality rate is much higher than the 0.018% global covid fatality rate.

And when omicron eventually does take a hold in hk--as it inevitably will, the shut downs and measures will put the last nail in our businesses coffins.

Closed Thread
Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 34 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 50 ... LastLast