Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 107 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    Anyway to answer the question of this topic. My parents are looking to leave Hong Kong and move to Dubai. They will try it out first this year and if they like it, they will make the shift permanent. They've been in HK for 30 years.
    A good friend of mine is doing that at the very moment - spending 2-3 months there to see if its suitable for a more permanent move. Unfortunately for many of us it is not a very viable option given the lack of a retirement type visa / permanent residency etc. I've not researched this, but seems to be a popular-ish option for some Indians who want to be closer to home both culturally and physically.
    Last edited by shri; 29-12-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    qhank likes this.

You can buy a property for 1 million durhams and get a 2 year residency - but not work rights. Not sure what happens after 2 years.

You can also go as an investor/set up a business. Move GX there!

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    You would lose close proximity with China however, as a downside.
    Some people would consider that a major upside.
    Sage and Jillypots like this.

I get vaccines and vacancies all mixed up now.

Obviously one number increases and the other doesn't really.

Happyhorse, Sage and mrgoodkat like this.

Found out last night that an American guy I've known for years - built up a business here, I actually counter-signed his visa application back in the day - has gone back to the US this week...

To quote him: I had a going away party at AmCham and like 3/4 of the people I told were like "hmm yeah, I'm trying to manuever a way out of here"

AsianXpat0 and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    OK, if there are over 60,000 vacancies, why are almost all the kindergardens and Year 1 (particularly, private and international schools) fully booked (some with multi-year wait lists)?

Original Post Deleted
    Good observations; yes, seems like the attrition is happening more in the public schools vs private schools (which has crazy demand still).

Original Post Deleted
    You seem to be right. The better educated and more portable are moving. The less educated and less portable are staying.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You seem to be right. The better educated and more portable are moving. The less educated and less portable are staying.
    So are you saying the private schools are for the less educated and portable?
    hike and Coolboy like this.

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 107 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast