Closed Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    US hits a million cases on Monday.

U.S. reports over 1 million new daily Covid cases as omicron surges

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/04/us-c...ndroidappshare
    UK doing just as well....

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...gures-12508999

My niece just caught covid, she works in a hospital and all her colleagues caught it during their new year party....

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The Philippines has now banned the unvaccinated from all public transport, land, sea or air.
    And the Communist Party have objected because vaccinated people can get infected too.

Meanwhile 45% of the population are fully vaccinated and 85% of hospital admissions are unvaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    He’s tested positive before though, so it would be a re-infection, but of course given many Aussies already felt compelled to vaccinate, pleading immune escape isn’t likely to cut much ice.
    Unless he had Omicron previously it won't protect him at all.

What’s more, an increasingly number of these hospitalizations represent patients who just happen to be carriers of COVID-19 — rather than people who were admitted as a result of COVID-19 complications.

In a Dec. 30 briefing, Kieran Moore said that one Ontario hospital had estimated that up to 50 per cent of its COVID-19 patients were “incidental.” That is, the patient was admitted for another condition and a routine test for COVID-19 happened to come up positive.
    https://montrealgazette.com/news/can...ct-of-covid-19
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    Unless he had Omicron previously it won't protect him at all.
    That's totally untrue.

No coronavirus is truly novel to any other coronavirus, so to suggest that that could be the case for different strains of the same virus is waaaaayyyyy wrong.
    AsianXpat0 and Gatts like this.

I would say keep giving daily case counts because otherwise they will just be made up on social media anyway.

Even the hospitalisation number is debatable. In Hong Kong that means anyone positive doesn't it?

In the Philippines the hospitals are mostly private and happily admit anyone willing to pay especially if they are mild so don't require any treatment for their money. A doctor here was complaining that triage meant checking the patient's bank account.

In the UK I would imagine the NHS requirements for hospitalisation are much higher.
    rkenia852 likes this.

I would say keep giving daily case counts because otherwise they will just be made up on social media anyway.

Even the hospitalisation number is debatable. In Hong Kong that means anyone positive doesn't it?

In the Philippines the hospitals are mostly private and happily admit anyone willing to pay especially if they are mild so don't require any treatment for their money. A doctor here was complaining that triage meant checking the patient's bank account.

In the UK I would imagine the NHS requirements for hospitalisation are much higher.
    I would say the opposite.

And for hospitalisations, they should be expressed as hospitalisations where covid symptoms are the primary cause of admission - The numbers would fall off a cliff.

Case counts are for statisticians who spend real time to understand what they mean, the breaking news headline just posted by PJC shows perfectly why they are inflammatory bollocks to the average Joe.
    Last edited by Sage; 05-01-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I would say there opposite.

And for hospitalisations, they should be expressed as hospitalisations where covid symptoms are the primary cause of admission - The numbers would fall off a cliff.

Case counts are for statisticians who spend real time to understand what they mean, the breaking news headline just posted by PJC shows perfectly why they are inflammatory bollocks to the average Joe.
    Have you got any evidence to support your hospitalisation claim? I am sure it is a factor but I see nothing to suggest numbers falling off a cliff.

What's the point when they estimate the case number are now vastly underreported due to testing capacity being maxed out? The epidemiologists are saying with omicron, at least in NA, it's the tip of the iceberg scenario.

Also no one cares about HK's hospital numbers they're meaningless.
    Sage likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast